Skateboard Photographers at Leica Gallery LA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skateboard Photographers at Leica Gallery LA
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:04 pm 

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 the Leica Gallery LA will open Rolling Through the Shadows, a group show featuring the work of skateboard photographers Anthony Acosta, Ray Barbee, Joe Brook, Thomas Campbell, Jerry Hsu, Jon Humphries, Greg Hunt, Atiba Jefferson, Dennis McGrath, Fred Mortagne, Arto Saari, Ed Templeton, and Tobin Yelland. The show will run through March 31, 2016.

The opening reception will be Saturday, March 5, 6:00PM - 9:00PM (please RSVP Leica Gallery LA if you plan to attend).

Leica Gallery LA is located upstairs at the Leica Store LA, 8783 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles CA 90048, Tel. (424) 777-0341.

Post subject: Re: Skateboard Photographers at Leica Gallery LA
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:09 pm 

I would love to live closer to LA to be able to attend these kinds of photographic exhibits at the Leica gallery, & just to be able to visit in general to something like this that is Leica related. I also just read that the Leica Gallery in NYC (which I've also never visited) has recently closed down. Some of the commentary about it seems to suggest that there was a redundancy due to its proximity to the the many fine museums & other art institutions in that big city. Do you think that suggests a similar risk to something like the Leica Gallery in LA, given its' similar richness in nearby culture? I would hope not, as I would think that Leica photography would have its' own separate appeal & interest, hopefully not limited to just that relatively small universe of Leica users, but to all who appreciate the art of photography. So many thanks for providing this gallery info.

Post subject: Re: Skateboard Photographers at Leica Gallery LA
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:00 pm 

I hope that whatever led to the closing of Leica Gallery NY is not happening here in LA. You might think that one can never have too many cultural riches in the vicinity, but economics being what it is, perhaps there is a tipping point beyond which individual, smaller art venues are at greater risk (which is not to say that some large venues are not at risk, as well).

There was a wonderful expression, coined decades ago in the environmental movement:
Think globally, act locally. I make efforts to support smaller, local cultural venues. Although I know I can save money buying books from Amazon, whenever I can I patronize Book Soup, a wonderful nearby brick-and-mortar bookstore (with particularly large art and photography sections), or the used stacks at legendary Hennessey & Ingalls (which just moved to the downtown LA Art District). I also try to patronize Leica Store LA, both for books as well as the occasional accessory. Its not a matter of being profligate. Its a recognition that opening such establishments was a calculated risk on the part of the proprietors, and I want to act (when I can) in a way which says to them: Thank you for taking the risk in my town, and know that you are appreciated.

Jedorme: another advantage of the proximity of Leica Store LA and their programs, is that it gives me an opportunity to meet face-to-face with other local photographers and Leica enthusiasts. Currently their programs mostly run on Saturday mornings, so they conflict with an oil painting workshop I participate in, so I do not get to attend the Leica progams as often as I would like. So near, and yet so far.... :(