Eli Reed at Leica Store LA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eli Reed at Leica Store LA
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 pm 

Magnum photographer Eli Reed will sign copies of his new book, "Eli Reed - A Long Walk Home" at Leica Store LA/Leica Gallery Los Angeles on Sunday, May 3, 2015 from noon to 2:00 pm. The hardcover book, published this year by the University of Texas Press, is a 352-page career retrospective with 261 duotone photographs. Leica Store LA/Leica Gallery Los Angeles is located at 8783 Beverly Blvd., West Hollywood, CA, 90048.

Post subject: Re: Eli Reed at Leica Store LA
Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:03 pm 

I was invited to a brunch with Eli Reed arranged by Leica Store LA from 10 am to noon, immediately before the public book signing. Store Manager James Agnew (pictured with Eli Reed, below) and his Leica colleagues laid on a delicious mid-morning buffet, welcoming guests with champagne mimosas. Two varieties of quiche, bagels with cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers, and a generous selection of pastries along with plenty of fresh coffee and tea were served in the upstairs gallery. Given that the Leica team also participated as co-sponsor of 2015 Paris Photo LA that weekend, they should be commended for their stamina as well as their generous support of the local photographic community.

A good number of local photographers, both amateur and professional, attended the event, as well as some of Eli's personal friends. Eli circulated among the guests, graciously answering questions, sharing experiences and posing for a multitude of cameras (mostly Leicas ;) ). At noon the guests returned to the ground floor store where copies of Eli's beautiful new book, "A Long Walk Home," were available for sale, and which Eli signed and personalized. Just published by the University of Texas at Austin (where Eli is Clinical Professor of Photojournalism), and with an introduction by Paul Theroux, the book is graced by a spectacular collection of works from throughout Eli's career, printed and edited with skill and grace. Combined with Eli's humanist approach, powerful composition and deep feeling for his subjects, the book - taken as a whole - is so much greater than the sum of its parts. My inscribed copy now has a place of honor in my library.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 pm 

I run into Eli regularly at the camera store in Austin and at different photo events around town. He's a great guy. I've never seen him without his Leica with 21mm Voigt on his shoulder. Being one of the few people that shoots a Leica and also always carries it with me at all times we usually chat for a second. He always asks what lens I'm using "today". He finds it amusing that I'm always switching up focal lengths and using different types of lenses.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, very cool James! Thanks for sharing the experience with us. Man, you LA guys get all the action out there.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:25 pm 

The folks at Leica Store LA really do make an effort to create meet & greet opportunities for the Leica/photographic community. Those opportunities are in addition to the ongoing photo shows in Leica Gallery LA and the Leica Academy programs. And, the location of the store in the West Hollywood design district and Robertson Blvd shopping area is great for strolling. The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is next door, and there is a Starbuck's across the street. Parking is rarely, if ever a problem (Leica customers can park in an adjacent lot for free).

I dropped by the store the other day, and ran into Julian Wasser. I've had several opportunities to chat with Julian over the past couple of months, since I met him at a Leica Store LA program. He covered the Washington DC ands LA scene for AP and Time for decades, and a retrospective of his work was published in 2014 by Damiani. He's got a dry sense of humor. Anyway, I'm lucky to live about 5 minutes away from the store, and its become one of my local haunts.

I didn't know they had opened (in fact, I didn't know Leica had any retail stores at all). I remember seeing the Leica logo on a building as my wife and I drove through the intersection of Robertson Blvd and Beverly Blvd. My head swiveled 90 degrees to the right, my surprised gaze glued to the big red dot :
"Uh, Jimmy..."
"Hmmm?"
"Jimmy..."
"Hmmm?"
"JIMMY!! The road! Watch the road!!"
We made it through the intersection, and it was only a few weeks before I sold my DSLR gear and returned to the rangefinder fold.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:27 am 

Eli Reed will return to the Leica Store LA for a public reception of his new show in the Leica Gallery, Thursday June 18, 2015 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. His show will run from June 16 through July 14, 2015. The Leica Store LA is located at 8783 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles CA 90048. Eli will again be signing copies of his new book, "A Long Walk Home" which will be available for sale in the Gallery.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool! Thanks for the update, James!

• LitPixel