Sample Photos - Voigtländer 21mm f/1.8 Ultron

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sample Photos - Voigtländer 21mm f/1.8 Ultron
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 pm 

Found this used copy on Ebay for about 10% less than retail. I got it yesterday and took it with me when I went to dinner last night. This is wide open. I did some minimal PP but nothing big and no cropping. I coded it as an Elmarit 21mm ASPH. It's not sharp like a Super Elmar. The bokeh is less pronounced than the Lux but it is smooth. The color is quite accurate and the distortion is low. For the price, I'm fairly impressed.

M9, f/1.8, 1/60 sec, ISO 1600

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:37 am 

More examples. These are stopped down. This lens is just stunning. I've seen more clinically sharp lenses but this lens has a character that knocks my socks off. It's combination of sharpness, contrast, color rendition, low distortion and a richness of character that's hard to pin down.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those are some lovely examples, Rod! You're right... There's something about this lens. The way it renders is very nice. I've always said it's got some of that Nokton 35mm f/1.2 mojo going on. I find it to be plenty sharp, really. It also handles flare very well in most cases. It's most definitely a keeper and staying in my bag! The fact that it opens to f/1.8 is icing on the cake! In retrospect, I would've loved to shoot at/near wide open more - and I even had the ND with me... In any event, I shot extensively with it the last couple of weeks - here are some more samples...

M9, ISO 160, 1/350s @ f/8:

M9, ISO 160, 1/750s @ f/4:

M9, ISO 1250, 1/45s @ f/2.8:

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:18 am 

Thanks Michael. I agree about the flare. I haven't seen any flare yet even though I know the sun was hitting the front element on some of the aircraft pictures I shot Saturday. I see from your third shot, it also makes good sun stars when stopped down. I also like your electric petunias in the first shot. :mrgreen: I shoot a lot of flowers so I've had plenty of experience with those supernatural colors. :lol: Good set of images!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

zombii wrote:
Thanks Michael. I agree about the flare. I haven't seen any flare yet even though I know the sun was hitting the front element on some of the aircraft pictures I shot Saturday. I see from your third shot, it also makes good sun stars when stopped down. I also like your electric petunias in the first shot. :mrgreen: I shoot a lot of flowers so I've had plenty of experience with those supernatural colors. :lol: Good set of images!

Thank you! :)

Yes, those electric petunias are eye popping, aren't they? LOL! This lens handles colors nicely; similar to the 28 Cron I'd say. I did try to push the lens in many ways; the stars are one example (which I'm quite pleased with!) as well as the flare... Which, like I said, is handled very well in most cases. It takes an extreme situation though to generate some slightly uglier results - the following are the worst examples (and are the exception). Note that overall scene contrast remains pretty good, and sometimes you get a "ring" around the light source. Most of the time you just get a lovely wash of bright emanating from the source. The bright triangle at the lower right of this first shot is the camera strap... Nevertheless, I'm happy with all of these images!

M9, ISO 160, 1/60s @ f/8:

M9, ISO 160, 1/500s @ f/2.8:

What I especially like is the extremely low distortion - this was also shot straight up into a light!

M9, ISO 160, 1/8s @ f/2.8:

With a little help from Photoshop's "Transform | Distort" tool, you can make just about anything look perfect, even when shooting up/down:

M9, ISO 160, 1/45s @ f/4:

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just realized something!

Because the lens is coded (in my case) as a Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 lens... f/2.8 is the lowest aperture you'll see recorded in EXIF! I was wondering why, even my dark/night shots were showing f/2.8 as I *know* they were closer (if not) wide open!

Aha! I'm going to check out the 21 Lux coding and see if the correction is okay. If so, switch to that. Sheesh.

I've updated the review to mention this, and expand on the flare and distortion properties as well as the conclusion. Will be adding many more sample photos to the review shortly...

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 am 

I've seen that with other lenses as well. I tried coding it as a Summilux and the camera wouldn't take it. I may try again just to be sure I got the marks placed correctly. I'm on firmware 1.176 and there's no option for the Lux in the manual selection list. Is it in 1.196? I tried that when it first came out but had some weird behavior with the shutter I believe so I rolled it back to 1.176.

Pretty impressive how it handled the flare, particularly the veiling flare in the first image.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 am 

Teacher-protests in Madrid, covered with M9 and CV21

http://blog.reiner-wandler.de/2013/04/2 ... oalmudena/

rw

http://blog.reiner-wandler.de

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

abumac wrote:
Teacher-protests in Madrid, covered with M9 and CV21

http://blog.reiner-wandler.de/2013/04/2 ... oalmudena/

Looks like the perfect focal length for you - and the Ultron seems to deliver the goods! Nice shooting/samples from a reportage PoV.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some shots with the 21mm Ultron from the weekend at the Japanese Stroll Garden... Shot mostly wide open because, well, I can! This lens is really pretty amazing for the money, IMO.

M9, ISO 160, 1/2000s @ f/1.8:

M9, ISO 160, 1/30s @ f/1.8:

M9, ISO 160, 1/125s @ f/8:

M9, ISO 160, 1/45s @ f/8:

M9, ISO 160, 1/125s @ f/1.8:

• LitPixel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next