Any Wet Shaving Fans?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any Wet Shaving Fans?
Unread postPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:09 am 

First shave done! Takes a bit more time than disposables, but a damn close shave already on the first attempt. Next time need to use a bit more shaving cream, was running out a bit..

Also finding the right angle is quite crucial. Hold the blade at wrong angle, nothing happens.

And I need to get some moisturising balm for my face.. the pre-shave oil just vanished into my skin. Guess I have a dry face ;-)

As for the equipment kit: bluebeards worked quite nice. The handle on their razor is pretty slippery though. Silvertip badger was quite nice!

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome, Juha! Congrats!

Glad to hear the Dreadnaught gear is working well. When shaving, typically, as long as there's no soap on your hands you should be okay. Silvertip badger brushes are my favorite! So plush.

Yes, angle is important. It's easy to find, but takes a few shaves to dial it in.

I usually use a balm first, then an aftershave - at least in the winter when the heat dries out my face. In the summer I go a bit lighter with just aftershave. Those with basically just alcohol can be drying... Look for ones with glycerin and other moisturizing ingredients.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:32 pm 

Although Taylor's of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin has been my "lather" of choice, I recently tried a tub of Truefitt & Hill's sensitive skin cream. Like the Taylor's, it's unscented. I find it more lubricating than the Taylor's. I was using the Truefitt & Hill cream this morning and my razor was just zipping along, and it got going so fast and smooth that I lost control of it for a moment, long enough to cut myself behind my ear.

Lesson learned: too much of a good thing may be a bad thing. :o

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haha! That's definitely sounding slippery. Behind your ear though? Wow, what are you shaving back there? :D

The UK's three Ts - Geo. F. Trumper, Truefitt & Hill, and Taylor of Old Bond Street are good, classic products.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:38 pm 

Actually, "behind the ear" is not a very accurate description. Actually, it's where the cheek transitions into the neck, immediately below the ear lobe. It gets some razor contact when I shave the far edge of the beard area. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

James Lehrer wrote:
Actually, "behind the ear" is not a very accurate description. Actually, it's where the cheek transitions into the neck, immediately below the ear lobe. It gets some razor contact when I shave the far edge of the beard area. :D

Ahh yes... That makes more sense!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:07 am 

Some things I've noted along the way, now that I've got a bit more "miles under my belt" with the safety razor kit:

Any recommendations for a really slippery lather?

The bluebeards lather isn't slippery enough even when using with pre-shave oil. Regular Gillette canned gel seems to provide better glide!

My silvertip brush also seems to be wearing out quite fast, already brushed off few millimeters.

Bluebeards handle is still slippery to the point of being annoying, I need to do something about it..

Also on few trips tried disposables and regular cartridge gillette's... no way in hell am I doing that mistake again! What a terrible thing to do to yourself. More people should try out these traditional safety razors, as they make for a far better shaving experience. And once you get the hang of it, it's just as fast.

So, the method is good but I need to develop my kit a bit: more slippery lather & handle with a texturized grip.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would highly recommend soaps by Barrister & Mann, Cold River Soap Works, or Saponificio Varesino. Those are three truly outstanding soaps. Dr. Jon's is also excellent and perhaps the slipperiest soap I know. Mickey Lee Soapworks is also quite nice.

Weird that your badger brush is wearing so quickly - that's pretty abnormal! Thankfully there are a lot of great brushes to choose from! Have you developed a preference? Are you happy with it, or would you like something with more backbone (stiffer)? Silvertip badgers are my preference also, but there's a place for boars and synthetics.

As for DE shaving over the disposables and cartridges... Yeah, no way. No comparison! Just because they're newer or have five blades - definitely does not make them "better" in any way. Never mind that they're also crazy expensive. I know I'll never use them again.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:52 am 

Wow...those recommendations sound great! Three shaving creams/soaps I've never heard of. I will check them out. As to DE versus disposible, I've been using the very simple twin-blade Gillette "Good News" razor for years. More than 2 edges just seems silly to me, and even the Good News razors are comparatively expensive when you discard them as quickly as I do. All this talk of DE razors may attract me back to my trusty Merkur.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:48 pm 

James, you should dig out the Merkur for sure! Funnily enough I've been eyeballing Merkur and Mühle handles.. For blades I started with mühle stainless but also got some titanium plated Feather blades. The Feather ones are unbelievably sharp!

//Juha

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next