Any Wet Shaving Fans?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Wet Shaving Fans?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

...and by "wet shaving" I mean using a safety or straight razor. Not those five-bladed cartridge abominations. I recently rediscovered DE (Double Edge, or safety razor) shaving and it's completely changed how I view shaving. If anyone's interested, I'll expand.

Oddly enough, Germany is ground zero for a lot of excellent products. ;)

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Any Wet Shaving Fans?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:53 pm 

Please do expand.. I use the 5-bladers currently my I've always found the real razors quite facinating, but also terrifying things.. in the sense that I haven't dared to try to use them myself. I've had a real shave done a couple of times and it's excellent!

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They can be terrifying... But it's really not so bad at all. You just have to remember two things; hold it at about 30º to your skin and apply no pressure (as none is needed). You'll want to make two to three passes over your face and neck (with a quick rinse and re-later in between). The idea is to "reduce" your beard with each pass rather than try to get it all at once. Cartridges have up to five blades; with each stroke the passes go up exponentially (5, 10, 15, etc.) while a DE is a single blade; one blade and three strokes is still - three passes. You already know how to shave in general and with these it's really no different aside from the above.

Throw out those ridiculously expensive cartridge razors. Doubled-edged razor blades are 1/10th the price. And that canned goop is not good for your skin - it's full of chemicals. Real shaving soaps and creams produce much better lather, are generally all natural and work very well.

Almost guaranteed you'll have a closer and more comfortable shave! I never liked shaving, and shaving every day was absolutely out of the question. These days I love it, even look forward to it - every day (except weekends, heh).

There are a lot of HOWTO videos on Youtube if you're curious about the technique(s). Check out Mantic59 and GeoFatBoy's videos especially. As for vendor, I've been more than happy with West Coast Shaving (thought they're here in the states).

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:52 pm 

I have a sneaking feeling this could get expensive.. badger brushes, titanium plated blades.. quick look-see around the web and there's a big possibility for GAS! It's like "shaving goes Leica" kind of thing..

But yeah, it all looks very interesting. Seems like many are enjoying the process quite a lot. Need to read up a bit more on this subject.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, LOL - you nailed it! In those circles it's called "RAD" for "Razor Acquisition Disorder." :D

But if you wanted to start off cheaply just to test the waters, you absolutely can. Not sure about Finland, but here in many drug/grocery stores you can find a mug, soap and brush kit for cheap. Just throw in a razor (a decent one goes for <$35) and a couple of blades and you're done. Total cost around $50 or so.

The initial cost of DE shaving is higher than with cartridge shaving, but after that it's pennies (literally, the blades are <$0.50 each). Cartridges on the other hand, cost up to $5 each - and both get just as many shaves! So if you stick with it, and don't go nuts (!) it'll save you money in the long run. If nothing else, your shaves will be much better and much more enjoyable.

Some links that may help explain the costs:

http://www.electrogent.com/2012/10/cost ... ge-razors/
http://zenhabits.net/the-zen-of-shaving ... your-life/

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

I used to use a disposable straight razor, but found the process too time consuming and tedious for how little facial hair I grow...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 am 

I'm still messing about with the disposable 5 bladers and will be for quite some time.. I always buy them in bulk from seasonal sales.. Still have a couple of months stock. But once those are done, I think I'll "throw myself under the bus" and give them real razors a go with a double edger.

I think I need to order the kit online though, as it seems the local stores try to rip me off.. best I've seen so far has been approx. 8 usd for a pack of 5 Gilette platinum plated blades.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alex, a straight razor, yeah - now that's a whole other level (and one I don't plan on attending, LOL). I'm curious, but not *that* curious! Shaving with a DE does take a little longer than with a cartridge, but you get faster with practice... However, it's a relaxing, luxurious experience if done properly so you don't mind! Seriously, I went from hating shaving to loving it.

That's great, Juha! Definitely give it a shot... I'm pretty sure you'll like it and stick with it. If you need help or advice when the time comes, let me know. I'd be happy to help. Sounds like ordering online is definitely the way to go... $8/pack is quite expensive, wow! My usual vendor (West Coast Shaving) has them for $2.25. The Gillette 7 O'Clock (black) blades are my favorite (so far).

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:51 pm 

I use straight razors. It is much more fun.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe you! Still not doing it. :p

Today was a "French Morning" starting off with some lovely Martin de Candre shaving soap and ending with Guerlain Homme cologne. I did use a lovely Portuguese aftershave though; Musgo Real balm.

• LitPixel