JD Laing's photos of UT Austin

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JD Laing's photos of UT Austin
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:23 pm 

JD's images of the LBJ Memorial Library at the University of Texas, Austin, include the 27-story tower of the university's main building. That brought back some vivid memories of my visit to the UT campus when I was about 13-14 years old. My Mom's people were Texans, and every other summer I would stay with them. One of my hosts (sounds better than babysitter) was my cousin Lucian, who was an equine veterinarian and an officer stationed at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio. For some reason I can no longer remember, Lucian had business at UT Austin and he took me along with a promise to take me to a display of some famous gun collection that was then on-campus.

I recall so clearly the main building and its tower, and the huge and beautifully-mounted collection of historical firearms. It was a beautiful morning in early summer, and through the windows I could see the grass- and tree-covered walkways and plazas of the campus.

That was early summer 1966. A couple of months later a former marine and UT engineering student named Charles Whitman would murder his wife and mother, then use the observation deck at the top of the tower as a sniper perch, killing and wounding many people before being killed by Austin PD officers who risked their lives to access the tower.

The memories of that time and place - good and bad - are still strong. What power a photograph has.

Post subject: Re: JD Laing's photos of UT Austin
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:06 pm 

Thank you.

:D

Post subject: Re: JD Laing's photos of UT Austin
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:36 pm 

And thank you.