Watches

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Watches
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:29 pm 

There's bound to be some watch fans here. My old Citizen eco-drive chrono just gave up the ghost after 8 years of daily service. I liked it a lot, but repairing didn't make any sense due to price..

And now I got my first "real" watch. A Certina DS Diver Automatic with rubber strap + black nylon Zulu strap. It uses a ETA 2824-2 movement, which is apparently a real work horse. Has a saphire glass with antireflectant coating on the insidea and has a ISO6425 rating for 200m water resistance. Should last quite some time in my use as daily beater.

//Juha

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Watches
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oooh, nice! That's a fine looking watch.

Those Citizens are sweet. I had one in the past and may just pick up another at some point. But at <ahem> my age... It's damn near impossible to read any of them.

I'm not familiar with the Certina brand... But it sounds a lot like a Breitling. They too have sapphire crystal (the only way to fly!) with an anti-reflective coating. Here's a shot of my 2009 Navitimer 125th Anniversary LE (479 of 2009):

Another one of my favorites, and more of a daily beater is this Tissot "Classic" chronograph (with matching white gold/sapphire ring):

I also have a Tissot T-Touch with titanium case; the sapphire crystal face is touch-sensitive to activate various functions. Alas, it died and needs repair; I question the $250 cost of this. :(

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:48 pm 

Nice watches there as well!

I reckon Breitling is a bit more up scale brand than Certina. Certina is approx. similar to Tissot. I think they're sister brands, both actually owned by the Swatch Group. Certina is better known in mainland Europe. I'm not sure, but they might not have official distribution in the US which would explain their low visibility in there..

The worrying thing now is, that similar to photography... this smells like up coming GAS! Just think of all those nice TAG Heuers and Omegas... nice titanium chronos.. sheesh! And no, I don't "dig" Rolex at all, so that's immediately excluded!

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:20 am 

Now that you raised the bar with the photos, I needed to up my game as well.. Still not in the same class, but at least better than the original one!!

Attachment:
certina.jpg

//Juha

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jlindstrom wrote:
Nice watches there as well!

I reckon Breitling is a bit more up scale brand than Certina. Certina is approx. similar to Tissot. I think they're sister brands, both actually owned by the Swatch Group. Certina is better known in mainland Europe. I'm not sure, but they might not have official distribution in the US which would explain their low visibility in there..

The worrying thing now is, that similar to photography... this smells like up coming GAS! Just think of all those nice TAG Heuers and Omegas... nice titanium chronos.. sheesh! And no, I don't "dig" Rolex at all, so that's immediately excluded!

//Juha

Thanks! :)

Admittedly, Breitling is a high-end option and IMO, a bit overrated. My biggest complaint is that the springs only last about 24 hours, if you're not wearing it or storing it in a rotator/winder case. So if you wear it during the week and put it away for the weekend - expect to have to set the time and date again come Monday morning. SO annoying. Go figure, the latest models take up to 48 hours now.

Not a bad thing that Certina is similar to Tissot; while not familiar with the former - I do have those two from the latter and I've been pretty happy with them. Reasonably priced, nice designs and even cutting edge in some cases. I get a lot of comments on the blue chronograph.

Watches can totally induce GAS, LOL! I've been half-heartedly looking to pick up a very limited edition Luminox SR-71 "Blackbird" watch... Not the ones you usually see on eBay. There was an even more limited edition and hard to find. They run about $1k.

The new Valbray Leica watch might just be my next purchase, depending... Or one of their other models. I haven't seen any sort of pricing anywhere, and I suspect they're probably pretty pricey. I guess it's like a Ferrari - if you have to ask the price...

Tag Heuers are nice, as are the Omegas. Though most of the designs don't appeal to me, there are a few that are really something. Of course, anything in titanium gets my immediate attention!

Rolex? Bah. I find them ugly as sin, and totally overrated.

That's a great shot! And a lovely watch.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, not a Valbray... I lied. I just picked up a Mondaine Evo Gent 38 after long being a fan of the "Swiss Railway Clock" (the same one Apple copied for their app and got in trouble for). Best part is, it's actually rather cheap. The other models add day, date, alarm and increase in size. I chose the simple route. Doesn't hurt that the colors match the Leica (and La Vida Leica) color schemes... :)

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 am 

Nice one. Is it mechanical or Quartz?

The simplicity of it is quite appealing. At the same time modern & classic design. Very Leica-like actually.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jlindstrom wrote:
Nice one. Is it mechanical or Quartz?

The simplicity of it is quite appealing. At the same time modern & classic design. Very Leica-like actually.

//Juha

Thanks! Quartz. Definitely a classic - while "old" (the design dates back to 1944) it does look very modern even today. Indeed, quite Leica-like!

I actually came across this one yesterday and HAD to have it. It's a Diesel watch, so insert <eyeroll> here, but hey, gotta live a little, right? The crystal is coated similar to Revo sunglasses... Thus the name - Diesel "Only the Brave" Revo. Click on the image for more pictures:

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:26 am 

My old friend Ed Lada's watch which he got during WWII in Italy by trading women's stockings and chocolate for it. He was interested in watchmaking and he said that he finally had confidence to work on other people's watches once he took this complicated chronograph "rattrapante" movement apart and put it back together so it functioned perfectly. After WWII he took schooling in watchmaking and made a living as a jeweler for the rest of his life. Ed checked with his children and none of them wanted the watch, so my wife bought it off him to give to me as a birthday present one year. Ed has been gone for quite a few years now, he was a great guy.

When Ed was alive he let me work next to him in his shop/basement and he showed me how to repair mechanical watches. To a watchmaker, if it is not mechanical then it is not a real watch. Mechanical watches are wonders and often even works of art, quartz watches are simply mass-produced consumer goods for suckers.