Digital camera market slashed!

It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Digital camera market slashed!
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am 

I'm hardly defending it, heck, I've gone back to shooting film myself. It's just an observed reality I neither embrace nor utilize. I'm in agreement with your sentiments.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:45 am 

Shetland wrote:
I'm hardly defending it, heck, I've gone back to shooting film myself. It's just an observed reality I neither embrace nor utilize. I'm in agreement with your sentiments.

Apologies for my tone there - I know there are any number of bad cameras on the market. My concern is based on the Apple closed system - that once you upgrade and you're on iOS7, you can't just back up and return the phone for a refund. Part of that is the irreversibility of the O/S, and part of it is the phone aspect and what setting it up entails.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dalethorn wrote:
What is particularly disturbing to me about these discussions is how the iPhone5s has been so heavily promoted by Apple as a superior camera, how so many 'house' reviewers have extolled its virtues, then when an independent reviewer like me gets in there and posts the real stuff, so many people jump to the defense of the indefensible. It's a bad camera - a bad system, and I'd appreciate a critical analysis of it.

Well, I think only so in the context of smartphones; in which case it does rank among the best. The 41MP Nokia monster is another story, but seems "decent" enough as well.

As for comparing the 5s, or any smartphone - to a "real" camera - there's still a loooong way to go to match even the most basic P&S camera. But as Shetland says, "your best camera is the one you have with you." And a lot of people don't want a separate camera, especially an expensive and/or bulky one.

•LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

FWIW, a little more detail on the iPhone 5s camera's improvements:

Behind the lens: A look at the technology inside the iPhone 5s camera

•LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:02 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
FWIW, a little more detail on the iPhone 5s camera's improvements:

It's nice to read about the tech improvements that may result in a better camera a few years from now, but the elephant in the room that few (if any) want to acknowledge is the smearing of detail with the 5s that can't be turned off. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the lack of discussion on Apple fan forums, and I suppose that since the real camera forums also don't acknowledge this, due probably to their members' lack of concern for cellphone camera quality, the iPhone 5s camera will be regarded as a smashing success. I can only wonder if Steve Jobs would have promoted or defended that camera.