I'm a Street Photographer, Not a Pervert . . .

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm a Street Photographer, Not a Pervert . . .
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:06 pm 

. . . This just happened to me literally an hour ago.

I was sat on a bench in Preston (UK) city centre, enjoying a well earned break from a days Street. Even when having a rest, the old Street Photographers eye is still working. Whilst munching on a Greggs Chili Beef pasty, there was an elderly couple on the bench opposite and showing that they were still very much in love with each other. I took a picture of them. Then an old man came along wearing a trilby hat, looking distinguished. I took a shot of him.

Then, what I can best describe as Vicki Pollard arrived, replete with the mandatory children. One of them began running towards the back of the bench and leaping high in the air over it, between the older people. "That would make a cool picture" I thought. He did it countless times, though each time I got ready to take the shot, he didn't jump. I made three attempts and gave up.

Five minutes went by, then they got up to leave. Next thing I know, she's shouting "you're a sick pervert for photographing my kids" and that she was going to call the police. I remained calm and assured her that I wasn't a pervert, that 'perverts' don't use 1500 quid Leica kit and that I would stay here and wait for the police to arrive. She repeated that I was a pervert and that she was going to call the police. She left with her ill-fated children, one of them giving me the finger.

I waited 10 minutes while I drank my tea but no police arrived.

I feel physically sick and am left with this thought that what I love doing is now (somehow) dirty.

The uneducated and misinformed 'masses', via the gutter media such as 'The Sun', 'The Mirror' and ITV News, are destroying the oldest and most honourable form of photography in existence.

I'm writing this on the train as I make my way home. This is the first time in 10+ years of Street that I have experienced this. I feel sick to the core, am struggling to tell myself that I should take the rough with the smooth and that tomorrow is another day.

Post subject: Re: I'm a Street Photographer, Not a Pervert . . .
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:44 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

It's frustratrating, but will happen. Best not to worry about it until the next time when you will be better armed to respond and deal with it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:00 pm 

Cheers Koko,

Your right and tomorrow instead of processing film I'm gonna jump on the train, go to Lancaster and put the gremlins to bed.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ugh, sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully an isolated (and extreme) case of paranoia, fueled by a few unfortunate incidents - and no thanks to the media. Best not to dwell as Alex said... Tomorrow's another day.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 am 
Vendor
Vendor

I am also a street photographer and share your frustration, here in South-Africa it becomes more difficult to shoot pictures, you either get arrested or forced to pay an amount which is determined by the local sun spot activities and pollen count..
But as a fellow photographer friend always says:living on the edge is halve the fun"
Keep shooting and post it on the forum! :p :evil:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:52 pm 

I learned a long time ago to some business cards with me at all times stating that I am a Fine Art Photographer and it has now, my email address and contact Ph No.
Handing one out in this type of situation does wonders, especially when you offer to email them a copy of anything you might of have taken.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:59 pm 

In another recent post here a 16-year-old taking pictures in a public place with a film camera (!) was arrested for "causing a disturbance" which needed to be "defused" by phalanxes of the RCMP.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:45 am 

After living in china for sometime, I have concluded that the idea that street photographer = pervert is the sign of a sick society. People are afraid, afraid of there fellow citizens. Why would one even think of such things unless it's already in their minds before you arrive.

Chinese society is very innocent compared to the west. If you take a photo of a child's play, you get one of two reactions, either joy that you are enjoying the fun or embarrassment that the child might be annoying you. But never that you are a pervert.

China however is a country where women feel safe to dance on the street at night. Very unlike the west.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:52 am 

Fortunately here in my village in Spain mothers thrust their offspring in front of me beseeching 'foto, foto'! They know me of course and expect a picture to be posted on my FB album 'La Gente' the following day. All very relaxed. However when I visit family in UK I feel the need to be much more careful where I point my camera. Even taking pictures of grandchildren in UK can result in dirty looks if there are other children in the background. Taking pictures at a grandchild's school play or sports day? Forget it!