Zeiss Lens outfit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zeiss Lens outfit
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:46 am 

I'm new around here and was attracted by your fine review articles on the Zeiss ZM lineup. I'm currently shooting with a Ricoh GXR and the A12 Mount. Right now my only M mount lens is the Leitz Summicron-C 40mm f2.0. I'm really enjoying the experience with it.

However, I'm finding the lens to be a bit long at times as it acts like a 60mm lens on my GXR. I also have the A12 28mm module but find it a bit wide most of the time, now that I've been shooting exclusively for the past two months with the "Cron".

So I'm thinking I'd like to make a change in my system and looking at going with the following Zeiss lenses: 25/f2.8 (37.5mm); 35/f2.0 (52.5mm); & the 50/f2.0 (75mm)

I think I'd have most of my bases covered and if and when I move to a full frame M mount camera I'd just have to add the Zeiss 85.

Any body else have any thoughts on this?

Blog | Portfolio | Google+

Post subject: Re: Zeiss Lens outfit
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome aboard, Duane! Thank you. :)

Sounds like a reasonable spread; crop factor or not - and all are excellent lenses. Are you talking about the Tele-Tessar or Sonnar 85mm? I'm going to guess the former. You might consider the Leica Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 also. A little pricier, but about the same size and a stop faster.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Zeiss Lens outfit
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 am 

I've used zeiss 21/2.8 on M8 and 28/2.8 and now 35/2 on the M9. I've liked all these lenses a lot and have nothing to fault with them.

The zeiss 28 caused some colouring on the M9 even when coded, but you couldn't see it in most situations. Otherwise it was great. It along the 21 used with M8 earlier was my 2nd stab at using 28mm fov and it just wasn't for me, so now it's the 35/2.

I've had the 35/2 for couple of months now and absolutely love it. I like the ergonomics of it and the picture quality & rendering is great. I couldn't wish for more.

As for double negs 90/2.8 suggestion, I also have that one, much because of his review btw, and love it. I didn't think of 90 that much before but have now "seen the light". It's a grwt lens & focal for some situations. Not my most used lens, but when I use it - it delivers.

I think it's a great situtation with rangefinder lenses from Leica & Zeiss as you really can't go south with them. Voigtlander also has some great lenses, but there you need to do more research and maybe try'n'buy kind of deals, so you won't get a lemon.

-- Juha