Zeiss zm in photokina?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zeiss zm in photokina?
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:17 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
They themselves have admitted that they're "too busy making lenses for Sony." Not to mention all the Touits for E and X mount. They've forgotten the M lens market entirely.

That's ok by me. I don't care for their aperture design as I prefer Leica's. The ZM lenses require three clicks on the aperture to change one stop of light. The Leica M shutter detents are two clicks per stop as are the Leica lens apertures.

Blog | Portfolio | Google+

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Duane Pandorf wrote:
That's ok by me. I don't care for their aperture design as I prefer Leica's. The ZM lenses require three clicks on the aperture to change one stop of light. The Leica M shutter detents are two clicks per stop as are the Leica lens apertures.

That's a very valid point. The Zeiss 1/3rd stops are a bit annoying. Finer grained control perhaps, but it makes adjustments in full manual frustrating. I pretty much shoot in aperture priority mode 99% of the time, so it hasn't bothered me so much.

What has is the build quality... Honestly, for Zeiss lenses - it sucks. I bought most of mine new, and two of them have "the wobble." Totally unacceptable. Worse, being out of warranty, the onus (and more so - cost) is on me.

They're awesome lenses optically, but mechanically? "Meh."

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:11 pm 

I'm sorry to hear about your wobble issues. I haven't had any issues with my 3 Leica lenses but then I haven't had them that long. But they are all used. I think the 35 Lux pre-ASPH had never been used. 30 years old and when I took it out of its original box it still had the plastic wrapper and some of the yellow number paint rubbed off the edges outside the grooves.

I do have a love/hate relationship with it as it flares easily at times and the glow can really glow too when wide open. So I find myself shooting it at f2.0 most of the time.

Blog | Portfolio | Google+

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, Zeiss really stuck it to ZM buyers. Of course they'll fix it under warranty, but it's not like they come out of the box wobbly... It takes time to develop. They should of offered free service as it's clearly a design/manufacturing defect - even out of warranty.

In any event, screw Zeiss - I'm sending my lenses to DAG for a tune-up and coding, at least the C Sonnar. That lens is definitely a keeper. I've never had issues with any of the Leica or Voigtländer lenses, knock on wood. New or used.

Wow, that 35 Lux sounds like a really beauty! And true to form. :)

• LitPixel