Favorite Bags?

It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Bags?
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:57 pm 

I'm new to the Leica club and have only had my M9 and Summicron-M 50mm f/2 for a month. So far, I have packed my setup into a Think Tank Speed Changer v1 that I've used to carry along the fast primes for my D300. At first, I had the removable pouch removed and just put the body and lens in. Lately, I've left the divided pouch in and slid the body and lens into one side. The other side would be used to hold my next lens (probably a Elmarit-M 28mm or an older 28mm f/2).

There are mesh pockets up front for filters, lens caps and compartments for holding memory cards and knick-knacks. I modified the bag so that I could use a camera strap as a shoulder strap.

It's not perfect, but works well enough until I can check out a R5 or a Hubba Hubba Hiney.

Post subject: Favorite Bags?
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 am 

If anyone is interested I have a Think Tank Retrospective 20 (pine) and a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 that I am looking to sell both are in mint condition.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 am 

Ok, I caved in. Resistance was futile. Just put in the order for BBB-E...

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 am 

I've used tons of bags. Currently, I use an old military backpack with custom made inserts for my large format and medium format kits.

I have the BBB-E and its a good bag to take on an outing with one or two RF cameras, some lenses, film and not much else.

However, the best bag I've ever used is the M-Classics bag. I have two of them. It is the most versatile camera bag I've ever used. It is the perfect daily bag for me - I can fit a small RF kit, a packed lunch, my 15" Macbook Pro, some lenses, film and their is still room left. Yet even with all that stuff, it is much smaller than other bags capable of carrying the same amount of gear. I can comfortably fit the Rolleiflex 2.8GX in it (a really tight fit with the BBB-E). In a pinch, it can even swallow my Arax kit with 50/80/180mm lenses. I buy all sorts of bags but I always end up coming back to the M-Classics. The reason that I bought the BBB-E was that in some instances, the M-Classics may be too big. For example, if you are in a very crowded space and only carrying a single camera with 2 or 3 lenses - the BBB-E would be more suitable.

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:04 pm 

About a year ago I saw the Billingham Hadley Pro and I just fell in love. I bought it as a christmas gift for myself. I still love it..

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:55 am 

I have a BBB (1rst version, small and lightweight) and love the new versions too, so soon I'll orde a BBB-E.

Other brands have the same sort of Messenger bag, but they tend to be big and heavy. I'll carry one or two bodies and one or two spare lens. I don't need extra space and I want to be discreet, specially if the camera is out in my neck and the bag has a lens or two left there.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:48 pm 

My everyday bag is still an M-Classics.

I just got a Fogg b-Laika for times when I don't need all the extra room of the M-Classics. It replaces the BBB-E. It is actually smaller than the BBB-E but can hold a lot more stuff and easier to use. Also much better than a Hadley Small that I once had. The craftsmanship that went into this bag is unreal.
At home, Sault Ste. Marie by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr

Here's a photo of my Swiss Army rucksack for my 4x5 kit:
My LF Bag, at Home, Sault Ste. Marie by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nando wrote:
...Here's a photo of my Swiss Army rucksack for my 4x5 kit:

Some fantastic looking bags there! But what really caught my eye was the backpack - I think I have the exact same one! Though mine was marked from another country, IIRC. I'll have to find it and compare now... :p

•LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 pm 

Its a fantastic bag and extremely well made with strong materials. I purchased mine for $50 at a surplus store some time ago. I think that now people have realized how good these bags are and prices have increased quite a bit. There is a lighter, modernized version of the Swiss Army bag with rubberized material replacing the original salt-and-pepper canvas but it still retains the heavy leather bottom. While the original canvas type is getting rare and expensive (prices on eBay are crazy), the newer version is still reasonably priced and readily available from surplus stores. I believe that the original salt-and-pepper bags were available shortly after WWII until sometime in the 1960's or 1970's. Mine is marked 1961. It is an extremely comfortable bag to carry even with a heavy loads.

A few companies are making replicas - usually cheapened versions without the internal metal frame and without the heavy leather bottoms and shoulder straps. Apparently, these bags are fashionable now. A few days ago, a friend sent me this link to a replica with a bird print canvas! http://www.highsnobiety.com/2012/07/06/ ... mmer-2013/

There is also a replica that is designed as a dedicated camera bag from a Chinese company called ZKIN: http://z-kin.com/collection_raw-yeti.php

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 am 

I found a very slightly used Billingham Combination Leica bag that I like a lot. My other bag that I take with me on the road is the latest Bare Bones Bag.

I'm preferring the Bare Bone for the road since there is no identification marks on the outside of the bag and I can fit a water bottle in it. The Billingham just isn't tall enough for the water bottle.

Since I travel for work for 7 days at a time, room is precious, and can only carry two bags while commuting on the airlines. So I have a STM Messenger bag I carry my laptop and other items I need for work. There's room in it for my GXR with attached M Mount and lens. I also have the Think Tank sim card case that I can fit my extra SD cards and two batteries. This is carried in my STM Messenger bag too.

I put the Bare Bones bag in my 22" Travel Pro suitcase and it has my Ricoh A12 28mm module along with filter etc.

Once to the hotel I of course extract the BBB and am able to carry on.

Blog | Portfolio | Google+

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next