Oberwerth Mosel strap

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oberwerth Mosel strap
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:09 pm 

As I've previously written here, my favorite camera strap is the Leica model 14312. The adjustable nylon strap drapes softly and smoothly, the fastening rings are inherently secure by design, the integral rubber pad grips tightly and the whole strap folds very compactly. It served well with my M-E and M9. However, when I purchased the M10, I soon noticed that the black plastic covers which slide over the fastening rings were wearing the black finish of the top plate, above the strap lugs.
Searching for a substitute, I checked out the various Leica leather straps. I liked their leather protective tabs which fit over the strap lugs, but found the leather a bit too stiff to my liking. More concerning to me was the smooth leather shoulder pads, which had little or no grip. I usually wear my camera slung from my shoulder, so that was a key concern.
Leica Store LA carries some of the beautiful Oberwerth camera bags, as well as the Oberwerth leather straps. The Oberwerth Mosel strap satisfied all the criteria I was looking for. The vegetable-tanned cowhide is smoothly finished, soft and light in weight. The stitching is very neat, and leaves the strap nicely supple. Length is adjustable up to about 45 inches, and the strap is designed so that there is no "end" to accidentally come loose. The split rings are separated from the camera body by matching leather strap lug tabs which fit the M10 perfectly. According to the Oberwerth website, a plastic tape is unnoticeably sewn between the cowhide strips, increasing the straps tensile strength. The sliding shoulder/neck pad is covered on the inside with suede, which grips well on my shoulder. The strap was available in black, light brown, and dark brown. I purchased one in black.