Arthur Meyerson "The Journey"

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arthur Meyerson "The Journey"
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:47 pm 

I had not heard of Arthur Meyerson before I came across his book The Journey at the Leica Store LA. When I first saw it, a flash of recognition - of memory - ran through my mind: my first glimpse of Photographic Vision by Zvonko Glyck. I saw that Amphoto publication while browsing around LA's Folk Art & Craft Museum back in the early 70s. I had just started putting a serious effort into photography, and that book, with it's eye-catching cover in brilliant, abstract colors, made an impression on me that's never faded. Decades later, the colorful abstraction of Meyerson's book cover stirred that memory and led me to another photographer's deeply inspiring work.
Meyerson is a Houston-based commercial photographer and sought-after workshop instructor. The Journey is his second book; his first was The Color of Light (2012), now out-of-print except in a limited collectors' edition. The Journey (2017) is published by A. M. Editions and is available in the trade edition for $85 (US) through Meyerson's website: arthurmeyerson.com. It is 204 pages in length and features 264 photographs, plus an interview with Meyerson by Anne Wilkes Tucker, curator emeritus of Houston's Museum of Fine Arts.
Do not conclude from the abstract cover that The Journey is about abstract, non-representational art. The photographs are of people, places and things, all over the world, in all kinds of light. The theme running through all the images is the power of color as a compositional element. This is a subject that Meyerson teaches in some of his workshops. He is a master, on a par with Jay Maisel and Ernst Haas (Meyerson's friends and mentors, and the book's dedicatees).
If this book strikes your fancy, I would not wait to purchase it. Meyerson's first book went out of print in the trade edition and I have been unable to find a copy. Read more about both books and Meyerson's workshops on his website. I've promised myself to attend the next workshop he offers in or near Los Angeles.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.