LR Can't Prepare Image Files For Use w/ Plug In/Other Editor

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LR Can't Prepare Image Files For Use w/ Plug In/Other Editor
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:06 pm 

After transferring my DNG image files within LR6 on my Mac's internal drive to an external hard drive, I am unable to use any plug ins or other image editors, like the NIK plug ins or PS or Affinity editors I used before. I did not move the image folders using the OS but did it within LR by dragging & dropping them from my photos folder in my internal HD to a new photos folder set up in an external HD, all done in the LR folders panel on the left side of the Library screen. Now when I attempt to use any NIK plug in or other editor, I get the following message:

"Lightroom was unable to prepare the selected file at /Volumes/G-DRIVE/JTO LR6 Photos/2016/2016-01-03/1601_untitled_570.DNG for editing. It will not be opened." The same message appears for any image files I select for use in my plug ins or other editors.

After I moved the folders to the new drive, in the Library tool bar I also clicked on the Find All Missing Folders & Validate DNG Files options. Everything else checked out & seems to be working as it should. I also determined that I have write permissions on the new external drive by reviewing it in the Get Info window. Can anybody figure this out or help me to do so?

Post subject: Re: LR Can't Prepare Image Files For Use w/ Plug In/Other Ed
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:14 am 

I'm not certain how or when I actually got these problems solved, but after resetting the preference files twice & installing the upgrade to LR6.6 & optimizing my catalog & restarting the Mac computer after each of these actions, I am now able to use the "edit in" function in the Photos toolbar to access all of my NIK plug ins & my external editors (Photoshop CS5 & Affinity Photo). In the midst of all of this I also started to experience very slow & erratic behavior by LR, as well as an inability for it to recognize & load images from my folders in the Library, which required me force quit it on one occasion. So at this point I am simply going to keep my fingers crossed & carry on!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:03 am 

It would be interesting to know which particular actions resolved the problem.
Having encountered some minor catalogue issues in LR1 I have always used the OS to move files since, and where necessary updated the location in LR.
My workflow is less streamlined than most as I also import files from a card to the folder of choice using the OS, back-up, and then import into the LR. This seems to have minimised any problems over the years.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:35 am 

The problem appears to stem from erratic behavior by my new external hard drive, a 2TB G-Tech G-Drive (Gen 6). I discovered that it wasn't always making itself available to LR; in fact, it wasn't always accessible to work with my computer at all. Some times when I attempted to open it up by clicking on its icon on my desktop, it would not open or when it finally did after a very long delay, it would display an empty drive, will all of my photo files missing. So when it finally did come back online, I transferred all of my LR photo files back to my internal drive, using LR to do so even tho it took much longer than using the OS finder. But I plan to replace it as my internal drive doesn't have enough capacity to house large photo folders.