No love?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No love?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 am 

So, where are those Konica owners and users? There are those of us who would like to know more...

Post subject: Re: No love?
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 pm 

I wanted a Hexar RF for many years but was hesitant to get one because of all the talk about focussing issues, difficulties w/ getting repairs and service, etc.

I finally took the plunge a few months ago and I must say that this camera is one of the best I've every used! It is a welcomed addition to my MP and M3. Although the dimensions are almost the same, the Hexar is heavier and boxier. The materials certainly feel different than those of a traditional M but it certainly doesn't feel cheap. The camera is comfortable, very easy to grip and ergonomically sound. In its own way, a the Hexar is a real joy to use.

The Hexar was and remains a technological tour de force - the AE is the most reliable that I've ever used, the motorwind is fantastic and smooth, film loading is a breeze. Battery life is actually very good. I can focus my 50f1.4 Summilux perfectly with the Hexar at any distance. And I've never encountered a M or screwmount lens that can't be mounted on it. The Jupiter-12 with its huge rear element? No problem. All my collapsible lenses collapse fully into the body unlike with the Bessas, Zeiss Ikon, M5 or CL. The 21 Super-Angulon? Goggles on the 35mm lenses for the M3, goggles for close-focus the DR Summicron, goggled 135mm f2.8 Elmarit-M? Again, no problems. The only issue I've ever come across was with a prewar 35mm Elmar and 28mm Hektor - the infinity locks hits the preview lever so I can't have close focus. However, this is also occurs on any M camera except for the very early M3 that didn't have preview levers. Fortunately, the infinity locks on the 50mm Elmar clears the preview levers.

Thanks to people like Dirk at JapanExposures and Bellamy (Japan Camera Hunter), getting the camera properly serviced/repair in Japan is no longer such a big problem.

The best thing was I only paid $600 for mine and it was in mint condition. It is a tremendous value. Now I will always recommend a Hexar RF over a Bessa, Zeiss Ikon and even an M7.

Herculano and the Hexar, at Home, Sault Ste. Marie by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr

Christmas Baking, at Home, Sault Ste. Marie by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr