The Massive Dev Chart App

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Massive Dev Chart App
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you soup your own film, you've probably heard of "The Massive Dev Chart" by now. A vast, "crowdsourced" database of film and developer combinations with development times. An indispensable resource if you really like to mix it up and experiment.

Not all of us have computers in our darkrooms, kitchens or even bathrooms though. What to do? Check out their mobile apps!

I picked up the iPhone version of it quite some time ago, and find it indispensable alright. It contains the database and a plethora of tools - perhaps the real gem of the app, the timer.

You can select your favorite combinations of film and developer (and save them for rapid selection later on), along with other timing functions for stop, fix and wash cycles. From the first drop to the last, the timer will visibly and audibly guide you through the entire process, along with proper agitation alerts. There's even a daylight and darkroom mode.

The price has gone up since its initial release, and currently goes for $8.99 via iTunes. In my opinion, it's still worth every penny. I can't recommend this application highly enough.

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: The Massive Dev Chart App
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:46 pm 

The price is pretty high but I love this app too. I used it for the first time today and I'd say it's worth the price. Very customizable for sure.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:02 pm 

I use it all the time...well worth the price for me.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting. I was wondering why, after so much time - that there were never any updates to the app offered... Turns out, in 2010 the ownership of the original app (up to v1.5) was bought from the developer by Digital Truth (and is currently up to v1.9).

Now comes the fun part. People who purchased the original must now buy it again - which they blame on Apple in this support forum thread. No credit for people that already bought it, no transferring or refunds. So pony up that $8.99... Or not.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 pm 

Hello to all. Nice forum :)

Yes, I was one of the unfortunates caught out. When the update came out, I logged in for the upgrade as you do and thought everything was great.

Next thing I know, I get an email receipt from iTunes for £6.

Complained and never heard a thing.

Still, superb App and haven't used a stopwatch since.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is the explanation I got when I bitched about it to them directly... Basically, I'm not buying the app again. The original works just fine. ;)

Quote:
We do not sell the app, it is sold by Apple. We did not own the original app, the developer owned the app and licensed the data from us. When you bought the app you paid money to Apple and Apple paid a percentage to the developer who owned it. We received a small licensing fee.

Apple has 100% control of the App Store and apps cannot be sold elsewhere, so they have total decision-making power. Apple does not offer us any ability to refund you or register you to receive updates. If they did, we would have done this for every single user who ever bought the app. Apple shares no data about the people who buy the app except for what country they are in, so it was impossible for us even to communicate to all the original users when this happened. This is very different from Google, who provide us with a cloaked email contact for every single purchaser of the app on the Android platform.

We spent over three months arguing with Apple about existing users like yourself and they refused to migrate you to the new app. Maybe you don't believe me or understand what this is all about, but I went into bat for people like you and fought tooth and nail for you to be migrated.

Apple's policy is that you cannot change the owner of an app, you must stop selling the original app, and launch a new one. We agreed to do this because we had no choice, but continued to argue with them about migrating the user base. I cannot for the life of me understand why their policy will not allow this, but after three months of trying every possible channel and being refused, the only choice was to accept it.

If we hadn't made the decision to buy out the original developer and agreed to Apple's policy then the app would no longer exist at all.

As much as we would have liked to be able to continue giving you free updates for the original version of the app, we didn't own that app and there was never any promise of such. The app you have should continue to work for the foreseeable future and the updates account for a very tiny percentage of its value. There is no reason for you to pay for the app again. If you want to buy the new version of the app, I will personally guarantee you free updates for life and you can email me any time if for some unforeseen reason something like this were to ever happen again. My company owns the app now, so I can make this promise, but there is nothing more I can do about the past as it was never in my control whatsoever.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 pm 

That's typical corporate talk, passing the buck. It also gets up my nose when they say "people like you". Oh what, your customers ?!