New Q On Its Way

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Q On Its Way
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:01 pm 

It looks like the long dry spell may be over, & that Leica Q cameras are being delivered in some numbers today to dealers around the country. I got an email from Ken Hansen in NYC this morning that he had just got some in & could sell me one, & based upon some pre-negotiated terms to take some of my Leica M gear in trade, I accepted his offer. And in very short order, I got another email from him saying it had shipped with the tracking info for me to follow it across the country on its long journey to the CA desert where I live.

Shortly thereafter, a local Leica dealer contacted me to tell me that they could now also sell me one in a few days when their stock arrived if I was still interested. I am sorry not to be able to support this dealer who sold me my M, & 2 or 3 Fuji cameras as well; but having heard such great things about Ken, I had no reluctance in working with him. And his responsiveness is most impressive, much more so than any other Leica dealer with whom I have had contact.

So I am both saddened to have to part with the magnificent M due to expanding eye problems restricting my ability to focus with the RF patch. But at the same time, after the many glowing Q reviews, I look forward to the experiences I know will follow using this new bit of Leica magic. More to follow.

Post subject: Re: New Q On Its Way
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's awesome - and good news! Congrats on finally nailing one down. :)

Did you ever try a Walter RX Eyepiece on the M?

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:50 am 

The Walter RX eyepiece, as I understand it is only for dealing with an astigmatism condition, which also as I understand it is where light rays are not properly directed to the retina. I have macular degeneration, which is an aging problem where the macula (which is a pigmented portion near the center of the retina where vision is the sharpest) begins to self destruct, causing a loss of vision in the center of the retina. I have a complication of this where a membrane is also developing over the macula - which is kind of like a very thick AA filter being placed on top of one of our digital sensor, which degrades the image formation. So this eyepiece couldn't solve this problem. And sorry for the long winded reply, but a simple "no" would not have been a polite response to your kind suggestion.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:11 am 

sensor corrosion + self strenghtening AA filter.. that's nasty. Hope the process progress at snails haste. Just one eye or both?

Thinking if it's one eye, then might be a good idea to start practising shooting with the other eye. Will be hard, but I do believe there are quite a lot of left eye shooters in the world. Also people with the M!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the Q. It's a fantastic camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:26 am 

Jed, may you use the Q in good health (including eyesight)! I'm sure you will make great pictures with it. I haven't tried it yet, but reading the review on LVL I think you'll love it. I'm interested to read about your experiences with it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:07 am 

jlindstrom wrote:
sensor corrosion + self strenghtening AA filter.. that's nasty. Hope the process progress at snails haste. Just one eye or both?

Thinking if it's one eye, then might be a good idea to start practising shooting with the other eye. Will be hard, but I do believe there are quite a lot of left eye shooters in the world. Also people with the M!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the Q. It's a fantastic camera.

My MD is actually in both eyes, but primarily in the left. I'm a right eye shooter, so that is a big help in managing my photography. And while there is no cure for it, there are means of slowing it down, sometimes even stabilizing it. Mine has slowed down after causing some initial vision loss, again primarily in the left eye. I think the Q will make things much easier, even for manual focusing with both the magnification & focus peaking features. So I still hope to do mostly manual work, with AF primarily for chasing my 6 year old grand daughter or 1 year old Welsh Corgi doggy around. And today is the day - tracking shows that it is out for delivery. Huzzah!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:13 am 

James Lehrer wrote:
Jed, may you use the Q in good health (including eyesight)! I'm sure you will make great pictures with it. I haven't tried it yet, but reading the review on LVL I think you'll love it. I'm interested to read about your experiences with it.

Jim, by now I think I have read every review of the Q that has been published, & that is what has encouraged me the most to make the change. I was starting to get quite frustrated when unable to complete a timely focus or ending up with an out of focus image using my M. So I am hopeful that the focusing aids in the Q will get me back on track with that, but still have the AF when all else fails (or I am just too lazy). I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences with it, & appreciate very much the kind well wishes. Cheers.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:34 pm 

Jed, I'll bet you're out front, standing next to your house number, watching with delicious anticipation for the Wells Fargo wagon, or UPS or FedEx or whatever. :D :D :D Now don't unwrap that package too fast...you want to relish each moment! 8-)

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:56 am 

Jed, great to hear that at least it's somewhat under control.

As for the reviews, I think in the end Q is one of those cameras where reviews are not doing it justice. Most of the reviews are very positive and yet when you get to ring a few shots with the Q it becomes apparent it's much more/better.

Reviews focus on technical image quality based on test charts (at least most) or they're user experiences that are highly subjective and still talk about mostly IQ or rave bokeh this and that. But from my point of view the camera is greater than the sum of it's parts.

- Leica's traditional UI simplicity
- fast eye sensor on evf/lcd switch
- unusually fast AF for it's kind
- customized to my likes, great ergonomics
- great real life IQ
- can handle low light really nice
- MF if/when you want it
- just the right size & weight

In a way it's like a modern AF version of the M. It doesn't get on your way when shooting and everything, in my use at least, worksin such logical way that I don't have to think about it.

Naturally there arw little quirks, but nothing really I worry about day-to-day. After all, nothing is perfect.

I reckon you'll enjoy it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:34 pm 

Jim & jlindstrom - Many thanks for the support & appreciation in getting this new Leica Q. And while I wasn't exactly camping outside waiting for the USPS Priority parcel to arrive, I did position myself in my office right next to the front door so as not to miss him. Getting any Leica, particularly a brand new, never used by anyone before one, is most exciting. The packaging & presentation of it is very impressive, & after using the M I was quite comfortable setting it up, turning it on & wandering around the house & outside taking snaps to test many of its features. Literally the only thing I needed the manual for was to locate the spacer ring that goes between the lens & hood since it wasn't found in the box!

But it is true that the reviews don't really impart the true essence of the Q, & the quantification of its many new features, functions or differences compared to the M do not convey all there is to appreciate about it. One reviewer commented that the Q was for Quality, but I would suggest it might really stand for Quintessential. I am super impressed with the ease of manual focus, & the ability to move between manual & auto with just a twist of the focus ring using the button in the focus tab is most ingenious. Right now with only limited usage I'm marveling at how fast it does just about everything, & the ease of transition to using it coming from the M. Here is a snap of it sitting on my desk corner, both so I can keep my eye on it for inspiration & also have it at the ready for the next imaging opportunity.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.