Joined ranks of X shooters again yesterday

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joined ranks of X shooters again yesterday
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:00 am 

After a mentally difficult choice, I joined the ranks of X users again yesterday. I part-ex'd my M240 + 50lux and 28/2 ultron for a big pack of gear.

X Vario
X Type 113
2 x grip
2 x hood
Visoflex for Type 113
SF-58 Flash
Epson 3880 printer
Slik Carbon monopod
Spyder 4 elite photo pro calibration kit
Sandisk extreme card

The reason for all this was relatively simple, I didn't use the M enough. That means missed shots when it counts, since I was out of practise. Naturally when I got the shot, it was fantastic. But shooting anything moving with a ranngefinder, when you're out of whack just doesn't work. Considering a film rangefinder & 1 lens in the future, but that's a long term project..

It was quite difficult decision still, because I enjoyed the shooting experience so much (usually when shooting landscapes or such, not moving object). What helped was that I've previusly owned the X2 and liked it & regretted selling it.

Also now for the first time I can calibrate my screens and also have the means for proper printing! So interesting times ahead.

I specifically bought both X's so I'll have more reach with Vario and more low light capabilities with the X. And since they share most of accessories, including batteries and combined weight around the same as my previous M-kit I can have both of them with me easily.

The grips & hoods are in backlog, but should arrive quite soon. EVF I've got for both and I think especially the vario needs it. That's been my first gutt feeling ever since I touched it the first time after it's release. From quick test yesterday with my olympus evf-2 (which I already had for M240), I was quite right. And I think the grip will make it even better.

Quick question, are people using polarizers with their X's?

Oh, both cameras are black and have a Gordy's wrist strap attached to them :-)

//Juha

Post subject: Re: Joined ranks of X shooters again yesterday
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, that's a big shift! But if it works better for you, then it's the right way to go. It also sounds like a nice, well-rounded setup. Being able to calibrate properly and have decent output goes a long way.

I don't see any reason why a polarizer wouldn't be usable with X cameras.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:46 am 

Well, yes and no for the big change.. in terms of Leica shooting experince the biggest change is focusing (rf vs af). Other than that's actually rather small change, if you think about. Full frame to aps-c, bit slower lens and aperture ring location. In a way, the X is moder version of M8.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 pm 

I have a similar X outfit, but didn't give up my M kit (M Monochrom, M-E and M5 + 35 and 50mm lenses).

The X kit is for non-photography travel, where my wife doesn't want to stand or wait around while I fiddle with gear. She also wants me to be in some of the pictures, and teaching passers bye how to focus an M is a bit annoying, especially with my -2 diopter correction lenses screwed into each of my M bodies.

The X Vario and X are absolutely perfect in this role. With them set to face detect and AAA mode I can hand it off to a child and still get great pictures. Quickly putting them into aperture priority or manual mode and I have all of the creative control I want.

The most important thing is the image quality, which is at a similar level to the M-E under most conditions and at reasonable print sizes.

I carry the X Vario in the protector half case with the EVF and lens hood always attached. So configured it is much like a slow Canon rebel with the kit lens permanently attached, but with vastly superior image quality and handling.

The X I carry with just the Visoflex attached and no other accessories. Its much like carrying the M-E with my 35mm f/2.5 Summarit (same effective depth of field), but much more versatile (close focusing, auto focus, higher ISO and faster lens). Both X cameras are on the original leather straps that they came with, which are about perfect for them.