Lens Coding Question

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lens Coding Question
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:30 pm 

I just got a new-to-me but lightly used M (240) & already had 3 M lenses I previously used on my Fuji X-Pro1 - a Leica Tele-Elmarit 90mm f2.8, a Zeiss Planar 50mm f2 & a CV21mm f4 Pancake. I am trying to make better sense of the 6 bit coding functions, as obviously none of these lenses have the coding imbedded into them.

If I just manually select those Leica lenses in the camera lens selection that are coded to match up with these lenses, will that tell the camera the very same thing as if the codes were on the lenses. I have found write ups for these lenses that tell what the codes should be if I wanted to apply them to their mounting rings. I'm trying to make sure that all of the EXIF data & any other benefits from coding will be available to me with these lenses.

Hope this makes sense as I'm finding there is a great deal to be learned about using this wonderful new camera!

Post subject: Re: Lens Coding Question
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That made perfect sense, and yes - if you manually select a lens in the menu (or the closest you can find) then it's the same as having a coded lens. Just don't forget to change the setting when you change lenses (a common problem).

Congrats and happy shooting!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:23 pm 

jedorme:
I have one coded lens (Summicron-M 35mm ASPH) and one older, uncoded lens (Summicron-M 50mm). I don't have too much trouble remembering to enter the lens type (although I confess I have forgotten one or two times). Once you get used to it, it's no big deal.
I inquired about having Leica install the coding in my 50mm, but the cost is quite high (around $300, as I recall). On the other hand, while there are instructions online for coding the lens yourself, I have seen some confusion or disagreement about the best pigment or paint to use. I also was concerned about the effect a do-it-yourself job might have on the value of the lens. The more I thought about it, the more I concluded that just entering the lens type for the 50mm is not so burdensome as to justify having Leica modify the lens or trying to modify it myself.

It's a personal judgment, and I'm just offering some food for thought.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:43 pm 

James - I'm glad you offered your opinions about it as it helps to reinforce my decision to forego any efforts at self-coding. I looked at the Match Technical kits but then came to your conclusion that I didn't want to take any chances on screwing it up & causing the lens to be worth less, or more importantly, transfer ink to the reading glass on the camera & mess it up. So thanks again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:20 pm 

The Tele-Elmarit can be coded from the list but the Zeiss and CV will have to be set to,something close to a Leica from the list.

This list has some cross referenced lenses:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-new ... ens-codes/

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:57 pm 

JDLaing wrote:
The Tele-Elmarit can be coded from the list but the Zeiss and CV will have to be set to,something close to a Leica from the list.

JDLaing - Many thanks for providing this list of code numbers for Leica lenses. For my Zeiss & CV, I was able to find Leica codes of comparable lenses from some online review sources for them. My Zeiss 50 Planar was reviewed here on La Vida Leica so that made it very easy!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:44 pm 

jedorme wrote:
JDLaing wrote:

JDLaing - Many thanks for providing this list of code numbers for Leica lenses. For my Zeiss & CV, I was able to find Leica codes of comparable lenses from some online review sources for them. My Zeiss 50 Planar was reviewed here on La Vida Leica so that made it very easy!

If you look at the far right column on the list it has some of the third party lenses listed.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The lens codes are also located right here on the site... :shock:

http://lavidaleica.com/content/leica-lens-codes

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:16 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
The lens codes are also located right here on the site... :shock:

http://lavidaleica.com/content/leica-lens-codes

Many thanks for this; I printed out the Leica press release listing of lens codes & it is now in my M-240 binder of all things important to know! And I am not certain if it might be something else that I did, but I selected the appropriate Leica lens from the list for my Zeiss Planar 50mm but after shutting down the camera & turning it on again, it reverted to the default of Auto Lens selection instead of my manual setting. But just now when I restarted the camera it has retained my manual selection for this lens. I must have done something wrong earlier.