Frustrated M 240 user

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frustrated M 240 user
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:18 pm 

Hello to any frustrated M 240 users. After retiring and planning to give my self a long awaited big present, I hit the internet shops to find the best deal on a brand new M 240 together with a wonderful Summicron 35mm.

I always longed for a new Leica having spent many years making do with S/H Nikons etc always trading in what I should have kept. Well, the first new M arrived in March this year and I spent the next month feeling totally stupid because the electronics was what I thought very, very complicated. All manner of strange instructions could be seen on the lad screen many of which I have lost count. The nice man at the mothership told me that the camera body should be classed as DOA. Thinking this was an undiagnosed medical issue to do with retirement I took his advice and contacted the seller who immediately explained that a number of new brands of camera are classed as " dead on arrival". "No problem we will pick up the camera and send you out a new one"

Putting this in perspective and realising that I have parted with £4,600 of my hard earned retirement fund I set about rethinking that I had been cheated and put it down to miss fortune. The new replacement body worked fine and after all the resets between the two bodies I can say that I have grasped the menus and setting to an expert level.

So what's your problem you may say? After around 450 exposures on body two, you guested it, yes the strange happenings are showing their ugly face. It does not always recognise a lens change between Lecia lenes ( yes I spent even more £ on another lens). It now has a new issue which could be put down a a selling point. In auto it helps me by setting off a range of exposures on its own and with each shutter release I get a count down of individual speed setting. Now I know that bracketing is very useful but 2000, 1000, 500, 250, 125 etc is not very helpful I think you'll agree. So what next?, I know, I'll buy an on Weston hand meter or use the camera body as a door stop!!! , this has to be easier than trying to explain the problems to a doubting salesperson. HELP!!!

Post subject: Re: Frustrated M 240 user
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:39 am 

Precisely what drove my decision to buy a film M camera instead of one of their digi-cams.

Other than that observation, I'd say do a camera reset.

Post subject: Re: Frustrated M 240 user
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, that's really unfortunate. Leica's quality control has been slipping a bit over the years, and digital cameras are no exception. But this seems like exceptionally bad luck. Hopefully a trip to Solms will restore things to good order.

• LitPixel