Disappointment with new M

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disappointment with new M
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:29 am 

Received my new M on Thursday, charged batt. and put one 1 lens, the tri-elmar 28-35-50. Played around with camera to learn some functions, upgraded firmware and took some pics.
Removed SD card and put in computer, imagine my surprise at the amount of dust that showed up on the images. I had to spot out at least a good 35 or so dust spots, from a brand new camera.
I had purchased a dealer demo MM a few weeks before, and expected dust, there was 2 spots that showed up, and tiny ones.

What happened to quality control?

Stefano

Post subject: Re: Disappointment with new M
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:54 pm 

Clean it. Simple task. You'll be happier with the results.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm 

Not as easy as you think, I cleaned it at least 4 times and can still see minute spots, I guess I will have to live with it and spot them out in processing.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cleaning sensors takes a fair bit of practice, the right products - and above all else, patience. I'm surprised there's still dust after four cleanings though. What products are you using? It sounds like you have some stubborn oily spots, which only wet cleaning will remove.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:57 am 

Hi,
I am using a kit by Delkin Designs which includes a sensor scope, which is a bit of a joke.
The wipe sticks are 1/2 the size of the sensor. I guess I will have to find sone full frame
sensor pads.

Stefano

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:54 am 

Stefano52 wrote:
Hi,
I am using a kit by Delkin Designs which includes a sensor scope, which is a bit of a joke.
The wipe sticks are 1/2 the size of the sensor. I guess I will have to find sone full frame
sensor pads.

Stefano

I have that kit, the whole thing is a bit of a joke. The only thing I use is the sensor scope, only because I am too lazy to get a real one.

I now use Dust-Aid Microfiber cloths and Eclipse. Works much better

My biggest disappointment with the M is the Multifunction Hand Grip.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:28 am 

swamiji wrote:
Stefano52 wrote:
Hi,
sensor pads.

Stefano
...My biggest disappointment with the M is the Multifunction Hand Grip.

I got the basic grip (#14496) when I got my M240 and am quite happy with it. At $855 USD :shock: the #14495 multifunction grip is hideously overpriced and just not a needed accessory IMHO.

It's a shame about the dust issues you have had with your M240; I would hope/expect better from Leica for a new $7000 USD camera...

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:01 pm 

M240 wrote:
swamiji wrote:
Stefano52 wrote:
Hi,
sensor pads.

Stefano
...My biggest disappointment with the M is the Multifunction Hand Grip.

I got the basic grip (#14496) when I got my M240 and am quite happy with it. At $855 USD :shock: the #14495 multifunction grip is hideously overpriced and just not a needed accessory IMHO.

It's a shame about the dust issues you have had with your M240; I would hope/expect better from Leica for a new $7000 USD camera...

The GPS function would be handy for me because I travel a lot, and it would nice to get the location of each hamlet I travel through, but it doesn't work. It's not broken, it just doesn't work. Poor design choices in my view.

The X socket is nice, but only needed if you are using the EVF if you the old Visoflex I have an adapter for that.

The only cool thing is having TTL flash when you are using the EVF.. Like when you are using known (in Manuel mode) R lenses, but none of my R lenses are in the menu... Thus as you can see it's of little use.

The last feature is the ability to use mains, but my dealer has never seen the adapter...

Yes, the price is outrageous, but it's Leica, you expect that, but it's the worst product ever to come out from Leica... If I had any advanced warning before purchasing it, I wouldn't have...

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:59 pm 

Ran into a tourist today in my part of the Fair Isle of Manhattan, from the Almost Independent Welfare State of Scotland sporting an M240 with the monster red dot covered in masking tape (could they make it any bigger?). It was his 3rd, the previous two replaced by Fford's for perennial, irreparable failure and freezes. The fellow, whose lovely wife was English, regaled me of running into the former head of Leica-UK at the Mayfair Leica shoppe in London who privately confessed to the frustrating chronic QC issues with the model (why our bonnie Scot was able to garner the 3rd one). Absurd considering its cost.

Not a real 'R' solution.

No serious EVF implementation for the likes of the UWA's, Noctilux or 90/135mm. Or ALTs.

The M-P should have been the model they introduced first, and with more robust electronics.