Off camera flash for the Leica M240

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off camera flash for the Leica M240
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:53 pm 

I wanted flash capability for my M240 but I did not want to spend $630 for the Leica SF58 flash. I found a way around that - the Phottix Ares wireless flash trigger set: http://www.adorama.com/PH89230.html

This trigger set has a range of 200+ meters, according to Phottix. It has eight seperate frequency channels, so you can work in proximity to other photographers using wireless flash and not trigger each other's flashes due to frequency overlap.

Both transmitter and receiver operate using two 1.5v AA batteries, making the units safe for the M240 and your flash.

I talked to the tech guys at Leica NJ about using non-Leica flash units with the M240. Their answer was that current backflow from the flash unit - if it were to happen for some reason - would not damage the M240, as it is rated to 230 volts.

No AA battery powered flash unit or wireless trigger set comes anywhere near 230 volts; since the M240 is rated to 230 volts, it will be safe from any malfunction of the flash or wireless trigger set. I have put my M240, Ares trigger set and my admittedly ancient Nikon SB25 flash unit to the test. All three passed with flying colors.

Why would you want to use flash with the M240, which has a maximum ISO setting of 6400? In a word, image quality. You will be able to use a lower ISO in virtual darkness when using flash, giving you higher quality DNG files to work with, as well as even, uniform lighting, especially if you go off camera and use a diffuser for direct flash or use bounce flash when indoors. A normal height home ceiling will give you soft illumination; bouncing the flash costs only one stop of illumination.

Off camera flash with the Ares trigger kit is something well worth exploring with the M240. It gives you one more option and many more choices for low (or NO) light photography. If you give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Post subject: Re: Off camera flash for the Leica M240
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's some great info. Thanks for sharing that!

Certainly no reason not to use flash if you need it, even in the daytime for fill. Just unfortunate that the M has a relatively slow flash sync speed. I have the SF 24D but I never use it... And I should.

Worth pointing out that you can also use a Nikon cord to extend flashes off-camera as well, for those interested. Throw in a flash bracket and you're in good shape.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:15 pm 

Most of the time, I do not use flash with my M cameras, preferring to shoot with available light. It is nice to have off camera flas capability, though. Some lighting situations really need fill flash or bounce flash.

Flash is just another tool that helps make our images better, when it is used correctly. On camera direct flash is not the way too go IMO. The result is almost always red eyes and/or phantom of the opera shadows, with harsh stage type lighting.

Bounce flash and off camera flash will both circumvent those problems. For off camera direct flash, I have found that a light modifier like the LumiQuest Big Bounce
( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... ounce.html ) is a great help as it softens the off camera direct flash making for a more desirable, softly lit image.

The Big Bounce also has a little brother, if it is too big for the way you shoot: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... uncer.html

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:25 am 

First post .... so hello ..
This is a flash solution I use seldom, but it works well.
A CTOOM old 60's M flash bracket cut down and adapted to the center tripod socket of the M. Here it is on an older M8, (the 240 needs a slightly different hole to be drilled).
Of all the flash brackets I have ever seen the CTOOM is by far the most compact.
Sometimes I use the dome, sometimes I use a bounce card on the 283.
I also use a 300 ws Armatar, (no longer being made). But every unit gets mounted on the CTOOM.

Rafael

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.