M10

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: M10
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:11 pm 

^ that all depends.. if the rf is as much better as people say, then it's a good trade-up.

Then there are the other useablity upgrades in the M10.

In many ways it's the perfect digital M. And I think Leica did the right thing.. I mean there really isn't much you can complain in the IQ of the M240/262.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:24 pm 

jlindstrom wrote:
^ that all depends.. if the rf is as much better as people say, then it's a good trade-up.

Then there are the other useablity upgrades in the M10.

In many ways it's the perfect digital M. And I think Leica did the right thing.. I mean there really isn't much you can complain in the IQ of the M240/262.

All to my point; if you've got little to complain regarding image quality (especially from the back-to-basics 262), and a trade-in would result in a large monetary loss, why bother?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:50 pm 

It depends what one considers large monetary loss and the value of the upgrades outside IQ. Fex it's been said that people with glasses can actually see 28mm frames in M10. That alone might be worth it for some.

Just because something isn't worth it to you, doesn't mean everybody thinks the same. People have different needs and wants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 pm 

It's not about the money.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 pm 

I was in the Leica Store LA yesterday, and had the opportunity to take a closer look at the M10.
As an eyeglass wearer with astigmatism I have to wear my glasses when photographing, so the "eyepoint" is a key factor for me. I do fine with my M9 and M-E when shooting with either the 50mm or 35mm Summicrons. I've been thinking about adding a 28mm Summicron to my kit, but I've found that the 28mm frame lines in the rangefinders of my cameras can only be seen in their entirety if I "scrunch" my eye (and glasses) into the eyepiece to an uncomfortable degree. And, I cannot see any space outside the 28mm frame. The first thing I checked on the M10 was the comfort with which I could use the rangefinder while wearing glasses. I was able to see the entire 28mm frame clearly, as well as some of the space around the framelines, without having to tightly sandwich my glasses between my eyeball and the camera eyepiece. Score one for the M10.
The M9 and M-E shutters are quiet as compared to my old Canon 5DMkll; however, they are not as discreet as my old M4-P. The M10 shutter is significantly quieter than my M9 and M-E.
The buttons on the back of the M10 are bigger than those on the M9 and M-E. I don't find the buttons on the M9 and M-E difficult to use. I'll reserve judgment on this design change until I get a chance to actually work through the menu functions those buttons access. However, I have to compliment the M10's designers on the improvement in the "joystick" control (or "direction pad" as it is referred to in the instruction manual). It has a much more robust and precise feel as compared with the M9 and M-E's plastic wheel and buttons. In fairness, I should mention that the wheel and buttons on the M9 and M-E have worked reliably for me.
The overall feel of the M10 reminds me of the M4-P, a very welcome change from an aesthetic point of view. The recently posted interview (on the Red Dot Forum) with one of the M10's production team explored the cost of this body size reduction in terms of how well the camera body dissipates the heat generated by its electronics. I think this may be one aspect of the M10 that will bear close watching over time.
Whether these and other design improvements create sufficient value - for me - to warrant bearing a significant economic cost, is somewhat of a moot point right now. There are about 160 names on the waiting list at the Leica Store LA (and how many more on waiting lists in London, Singapore, Tokyo, New York, etc. I can only imagine), so it would be many months before I would be in a position to make a buy/don't buy decision. I'll spend that time enjoying my M9 and M-E and keeping my ear to the ground as M10 reviews and comments appear in the blogs.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:59 pm 

Shetland wrote:
I strolled over to the Leica Store-SoHo where they had one on display the day of the announcement. Has a "density" in hand reminiscent of the M6 and quite a bright and lovely rangefinder. Seemed easier to get things in focus faster than even a 240.
If you're coming from an M9 (like me), the argument for a trade up is a no-brainer.
From an M262?...not so much.

As they say here in Texas...........

Git you one.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:41 am 

I must concur with Mr Lehrer on this matter; waiting through the birthing pains of half-baked early firmware, potential banding issues (if they continue to exist) and heat dissipation of the leaner body to be fleshed out first, seems the more prudent course.

Buying one, for me at least, will be in the fullness of time. The slings and arrows of early adoption are best left to the stout of heart and wallet. In the meantime, I will await the return of my M9M from its sensor replacement. It has served me well.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:37 pm 

I may or may not receive a M10 tomorrow... Plausible deniability [emoji13]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Unread postPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:54 pm 

M10 in the house!

Sorry, no photos of any kind just yet. Battery charging [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread postPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:48 pm 

Congratulations! Have a great time, and share your thoughts and pix with us.