Bakersfield Lawyer

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bakersfield Lawyer
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 am 

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but have been fairly active in other Leica communities for about two years now.

As the title suggests, I'm an attorney living in Bakersfield, CA, and as might be inferred from my being here I'm something of a Leica fan. I finally just sold the last of my DSLR equipment and am exclusively Leica M for serious photography and Leica X for casual travel.

For the last 35 years I've been a predominantly 50mm kind of guy, but I'm pushing myself more to 35mm in recent months to get a little outside of my comfort zone. I also enjoy vintage lenses, especially Zeiss Sonnars, and currently own and use a 1937 uncoated Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar and a 1941 coated Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/2 Sonnar. Those two join my modern Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron (non-APO) and 35mm f/2.5 Summarit and can be found on either the M Monochrom, the M-E or when I'm in the mood to shoot film on an exceptionally clean M5.

For family (non-photography) vacations I have the X Vario and recently added the X (Typ 113) as a low-light/indoor companion. The compacts are so good that I really don't miss my M system when traveling, and they have the advantage of multipoint and face-detect AF that allows me to pass off the camera and actually be in some of the pictures.

Post subject: Re: Bakersfield Lawyer
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:05 am 

Welcome aboard, brother of the bar and fellow M-E user. I haven't been to Bakersfield for years, but I have fond memories of stopping there on the drive to Grandma's (she lived in a little town called Riverdale, in Fresno County). My Dad always liked to stop at the Kansas City Steak House, so we usually stayed at the Bakersfield Inn.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:09 pm 

James Lehrer wrote:
Welcome aboard, brother of the bar and fellow M-E user. I haven't been to Bakersfield for years, but I have fond memories of stopping there on the drive to Grandma's (she lived in a little town called Riverdale, in Fresno County). My Dad always liked to stop at the Kansas City Steak House, so we usually stayed at the Bakersfield Inn.

The K C actually stand for Kern County. Still a great place, and thanks for the welcome..

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello, and welcome to La Vida Leica!

I'm a big fan of the Sonnar design as well; one of my favorite lenses is the Zeiss T* C Sonnar 1,5/50 ZM.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:07 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
Hello, and welcome to La Vida Leica!

I'm a big fan of the Sonnar design as well; one of my favorite lenses is the Zeiss T* C Sonnar 1,5/50 ZM.

I love the C Sonnar as well, but its sort of redundant when I have the original 1937 in the bag. It is far more flare resistant and has higher contrast than the old uncoated glass.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

asiafish wrote:
I love the C Sonnar as well, but its sort of redundant when I have the original 1937 in the bag. It is far more flare resistant and has higher contrast than the old uncoated glass.

True, true. That classic must be a real peach though!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:27 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
asiafish wrote:

True, true. That classic must be a real peach though!

Yup. Here are two samples from last weekend.

Mr. Kimura
Leica M-E at ISO 640 with 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5, wide open, no post

ImageL1000238.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Mrs. Kimura
Leica M-E at ISO 640 with 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5, wide open, no post

ImageL1000241.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr