Any Fountain Pen Fans?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any Fountain Pen Fans?
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:01 am 
Vendor
Vendor

I love fountain pens. Pelikan is a brand I'm particular fond of. I have a few and would love to add a 101N series pen as well.
I must admit, though, lately I discovered Franklin-Christoph fountain pens and am using almost exclusively their Pocket 40 pen. I have the Fire and Ice model which is made of translucent/clear acrylic and use it eye dropper style filled with Noodler's red Tianmanem ink. Sweet!

http://www.harrybenz.com

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:16 pm 

2 Pelikans:
Top: M200 (2014)
Bottom: M760 (1989)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sweet pens, guys!

I just finished cleaning half a dozen Pels last week. Time to re-ink. I'll probably go with another round of Iroshizuku inks.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:18 pm 

dude ---- my dad collects fountain pens --- the vintage ones --- there are some real works of beauty in both the vintage and the contemporary limited edition ones --- if you are ever looking for something, let me know

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:21 pm 

worth checking out -- xrays of myself, vintage cameras, and vintage fountain pens

http://blakebillings.com/#/Xrays/

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vintage pens are great!

I have a 1950-1954 Green Striated 400, OM-nibbed Pelikan that's just a joy to write with. Lovely wet writer, especially with shading inks.

Probably the most fun to write with, and my oldest pen, is a Waterman "3" with a "wet noodle" (X)F-BB(B) nib from the 1930's. I love loading this bad boy up with shading inks, as it flexes wickedly! Not a pen to write fast with (though you could) as to really make it sing takes a little effort. Incredible results. They just don't make them like this anymore.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:04 pm 

I started using fountain pens about the same time I started practicing law. I did an extraordinary amount of writing and editing in 34 years of practice, and I worked my way through quite a few pens and inks before settling on the Pelikan M800 in plain black with Pilot-Iroshizuku ink in tsuki-yo (moonlight) blue-green. The Pelikan BB nib was custom ground to an italic edge suited to my handwriting by our local pen guru, John Mottishaw. I also have a Pelikan reissue 1935 Jade Limited Edition.

In past years I went through the Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Waterman, Parker Duofold, Conway Stewart, and Omas pens, and Diamine, Parker, Omas and Noodler inks.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some great pens there, James! My current favorite go-to is also a Pelikan and the Iroshizuku inks. A BB italic, wow. That's a broad stroke! I max out at M.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:44 pm 

Somehow or other I learned handwriting with LOTS of pressure, so I need a robust nib. Also, BB was the width John Mottishaw asked for...I think he likes the extra material to work with when he grinds the edge to an italic. In actual use, the line is not unreasonably thick, and it produces nice thin lines on the ascenders.

I don't have the other brand pens anymore. Once I got on to an new pen I liked, I sold the old one to defray the new pen's cost. I'm just not a collector-type. Except for slide rules (I've got way too many for someone living in the 21st century) and books.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:48 pm 

If you use Pilot Iroshizuku ink, you may be interested to learn that it is now available in smaller bottles. The large 50 ml bottles now retail for $28.00. They are also available in 15 ml bottles for $14.00. Obviously the 50 ml bottles are better value, assuming you like a particular color or colors. On the other hand, if you want to try different colors an assortment of 15 ml bottles might be the way to go.

Check out JetPens for a great assortment of Japanese writing implements and stationery, at www.jetpens.com.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next