Any BBQ fans?

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any BBQ fans?
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:34 pm 

So I turned 40 a couple of weeks ago. Wife and some friends & family wanted to get me something... I figured I'm pretty much covered, so no usefor the usual niceties. BUT I would like a good grill.

So after some soul searching I set my mind on a kamado. So today arrived my new Kamado Joe Big Joe (24") stand-alone grill.

Got it all setup now for the New Year & bought some nice marbled sirloin steaks and ribeye!

So there you go.. it's going to be some serious smoking and bbq happening at my house in the future!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post subject: Re: Any BBQ fans?
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:37 pm 

Bon appetit! Now you will have to start collecting recipes for BBQ sauces and marinades. You will also have to try smoking various foods with different varieties of wood. My Dad fished on the Pacific coast every weekend, and would bring home bonita to smoke with hickory wood. The neighborhood cats would come running!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:58 am 

So, first cook with a photo.

Got my Big Joe end of December and have done several different cooks. This is the first one with a photo evidence [emoji23]

Anyway, pork tenderloin cleaned & marinated in a vacuum marinator box for roughly 2 hours.

Marinade was simple: squeezed one lemon, 6tbsp of soy sauce, 2tbsp of honey & crushed 3 garlic cloves.

Heat up the Big Joe to about 250F & put the tenderloin on direct high heat. Threw in a big chunk of apple for smoke.

Straight from fridge & no wiping of marinade. Grilled 2-3 minutes per side and then moved to indirect.

Pulled the meat out at about 145F & wrapped in foil to rest for 10 minutes.

Served with Jasmin rice & green salad.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 am 

Mouth-watering! What a great dinner!
We don't have a smoker at this time, but when I retired we bought a good oven-range (Wolf 48-inch gas), and we do a lot of roasting. Last night we roasted a rolled chicken breast stuffed with bread, onions, celery & mushrooms. We recently planted a potted herb garden, and we dressed the rolled breast with fresh lemon savory, rosemary and thyme, and sprinkled some sea salt on it. near the end of cooking (450 degrees F for about 70 minutes, I put some butter (salted) on top. We served it with creamed spinach. Next time we make it, I'll post a photo.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:36 pm 

It's kind of funny how big the difference cooking with something else than electricity. Don't know how your gas oven works, but if it has open flame inside it makes a totally different cooking enviroment. Gas introduces more humidity when burning and it changes the game quit a lot.

Don't have room in the kitcken for gas stove or oven atm, but especially gas stove has been a long time dream.. So I got the next best thing and bought induction stove. Has the cooking power & speed of gas with simplicity of electricity. But you do still miss out on fex. flambeering.

We have a small garden in the backyard as well. We grow some herbs, onions, carrots, potatoes etc. Though at this time of the year, we're relying on store bought stuff.

Grilled some bone in chicken breasts today. Salt, pepper, curry, smoked paprika. Had them on indirect at about 480F dome temp. They cooked pretty damn fast too!

Anyway, about 10 before pulling them I gave them a quick glaze with a sweet bbq sauce. Very light coating & left to cramelize.

Pulled them at about 170F internal & wrapped in foil.

Really nice & juicy chicken.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that is a wonderful BBQ!

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:30 pm 

We were lucky: the 48-inch oven range fit exactly in the kitchen space...as though the floorplan was drawn with that appliance in mind. :D We love cooking with gas!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:09 pm 

I'm a Texan. Do I like Barbecue?

Is there anything else besides Barbecue?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 pm 

All we need then is tips, tricks & recipes! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro