Point and shoot recommendations

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Point and shoot recommendations
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 am 

Now that I've decided (with much soul-searching and wrestling with my demons) to sell the Fuji X-pro, I really need a reliable, auto/manual option with good IQ and ease of use to grab when I don't want to go even as big as my M. I've had and loved the Leica D-Lux 4 in the past, but all the while, I kept telling myself ("shoulda gone with the Lumix"--significantly cheaper, and to my understanding, essentially the same camera).

So now finally B and H has it back in stock (DMC-ZS30), and I'm considering taking the plunge.

Looking for your recommendations based on affordability (<$500), size, ease of use, manual capability (really just Av and Auto), and IQ.

Had pretty much decided to get a waterproof, but the extra lens cover makes for unacceptable out-of-water shots on land, and I just don't see those as serious cameras, although the options are waaaay more than 99% of consumers will ever use.

Post subject: Re: Point and shoot recommendations
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm 

That sounds like an excellent choice as does the LX7. I would love a small camera with a zoom lens to complement my excellent x1!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:36 pm 

Thanks for that recommendation. Wow tough choice between the LX7 and ZS30.

On first glance, it looks like the LX7 has max aperture of 1.4, while the zs30 only goes to 3.3; however, zs offers high-speed video and ability to do real slo- mo.

zs also has wi-fi connectivity, although to be honest, not sure I would use that much, plus there have been some complaints about it being hard to set up.

And there's the 12 (10) MP of the LX7 vs. the 18 MP of the zs...

Not the biggest deal in the world, but these factors are worth considering I suppose.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just went through this with a friend.

There's the true P&S models, like say the Canon S110 which is feature-packed and very pocketable, with excellent IQ.

Then you have more "enthusiast" level, typically larger in size, bigger zoom and lots more buttons and features. Something along the lines of the Canon G15, Sony RX-100, etc.

The Fuji X and Sony NEX bodies are nice, but if you want to approach DSLR level with interchangeable lenses, you're looking at around $800 to start with - which is I think out of your range, plus you have to buy into another lens system (or adapters).

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 pm 

Double Negative wrote:

The Fuji X and Sony NEX bodies are nice, but if you want to approach DSLR level with interchangeable lenses, you're looking at around $800 to start with - which is I think out of your range, plus you have to buy into another lens system (or adapters).

Thanks for the input. I'm actually having those thoughts about whether I need 2 "systems" (well, 3 really if you count my Canon pro gear). It's sort of why I'm probably getting rid of the X-pro 1; I say "probably" because now I'm having second thoughts about selling it.

I mean I see all these reviews and perfesshunnals going on about how great it is, and I just for the life of me was not overly impressed. But it is compact and relatively portable and at least now I know how to use it. Just hate the thought that I spent that much on a backup system for grabbing on the fly when I don't have my M.

Welcome to the internal struggle that is my life.

I'll spare you the same rant about the X-pro that I've posted on two or three other threads.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:46 pm 

Welcome to the weird world of digital consumerism. I just use the camera I love and they never disappoint. It is up to me to get the images I want and I have no need for video which makes life easier for me.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're not the only one... I was just talking to someone that returned their X-Pro 1 too, and they were into it for $1,400 or so.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:42 pm 

Anyone tried the Fuji X20 or X100/100s and care to weigh in how this would compare with the Lumix LX7?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:24 pm 

About two months ago, I picked up a Sony RX100 to be a sidekick for my M9 and I have been loving it. I have setup the front control ring for zooming and I tend to stick with Av mode.

I'm not entirely a fan of the manual focus mode (never been a fan of focus-by-wire anyway), but center or single spot focusing works well for the most part. I've had it completely brain fart on focusing and lost a couple of what would have been awesome shots. I've also had it under-expose photos by 2/3-1 stop at times, so keep an eye out for that.

The programmable Fn options are nice and give me quick access to focus mode, ISO, exposure compensation and a few other things. I shoot in RAW+JPEG so that I can suck in files on to a tablet or laptop for very quick tweaks, or go full PP on things that need it. Definitely need a fast SDHC card, as file sizes for both is around 26-30MB (~20.5MB for RAW and 4-7.5MB of large JPEG). HDR will only work when JPEG is set, not RAW or RAW+JPEG.

The updated RX100 II's tilting screen would be nice, but I haven't had a need for it.

*Edit: RX100 II, not RX100 R. Sorry, brain fart.

Last edited by questionlp on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:38 pm 

questionlp: Wow that does look like a good camera. Sleek and high-performance. I checked out the specs and I'm impressed.

To be honest, I was hoping to stay under $500, but even so that camera is still in the picture (pardon the pun).

Thanks!

J.