Martha Rosler at the Getty Center

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martha Rosler at the Getty Center
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:31 pm 

Photographer and writer Martha Rosler will speak at the Getty Center in Los Angeles at 7:00pm, February 7, 2017.
Quote:
Since the 1960s, Brooklyn-based artist Martha Rosler has offered political and social critique through video, photography, installations, and performances. Her series House Beautiful: Bringing the War Home (1967-72) is featured in the exhibition Breaking News: Turning the Lens of the Mass Media. In this presentation, Rosler reflects on her current and past projects.
Getty 360º, Winter 2017, p.8.
The exhibition Breaking News: Turning the Lens on Mass Media will be at the Getty Center's Museum, Center for Photographs, West Pavilion through April 30, 2017.
Quote:
Over the past 50 years, artists have increasingly turned to newspapers, magazines, and televised news programs as rich sources of inspiration. This exhibition explores how artists have looked at and commented on news images, from the Vietnam War in the 1960s to the so-called “War on Terror” in the 2000s. Much of the work is political; all of it is personal. Through photographs and videos, these artists have juxtaposed, mimicked, and appropriated media elements to transform ephemeral news into lasting works of art.
http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/breaking_news
Based on my (limited) reading of Rosler's writings, I find her a very interesting critic of photography, including photojournalism and documentary photography, especially in her effort to develop a systematic understanding of modern photography's effects on its audiences, within moral, aesthetic and social frameworks.
The Getty Center is located at the corner of North Sepulveda Blvd. and Getty Center Drive in West Los Angeles. Admission to the museum is free; parking is $15, $10 after 3:00 pm.
I plan on attending this presentation, and will try to view the exhibition beforehand. If any LVL members are interested in meeting for the exhibition, dinner at the Getty's Restaurant and Rosler's presentation, please send me a PM.