New to Leica 90mm F2.8 Tele-Marit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Leica 90mm F2.8 Tele-Marit
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:29 pm 

By way of introduction both to this forum & to the world of Leica lenses, I have been a Fuji X user for some time now (X100, X100S & now X-E2), but have just now obtained a Fuji X-M adapter & a 31 year old 90mm F2.8 Tele-Elmarit lens to use on my X-E2. While I have been considering doing this for some time now, it was first the size & weight of my XF55-200 lens & second the very encouraging write ups by Double Negative on this site that finally got me to do it. And literally stumbling on a very good deal on eBay when first starting out to buy one pushed me over the edge.

I've only had the lens for 2 days but have to tell you I am smitten. For the first time I am back to my old film Voigtlander rangefinder days long before I succumbed to the lure of the SLR. But the sheer bulk of my final one, a Nikon D7000, got me to the Fuji X small form factor & the realization that my XF35mm prime was far more satisfying than either my XF55-200 or my XF18-55 lenses got me to make the step to adapted legacy glass. The recent lenses being produced by Fuji are also stellar but getting to be too large for my taste, so I see myself adding probably the XF14mm & maybe the XF60mm, but the rest of my plans all involve either Leica, Zeiss or Voigtlander glass. Next will likely come either the Leica 50mm Summicron-M F2 or the Zeiss Planar T 50mm F2 ZM, & after that something from Leica or Zeiss in the 23mm range.

But for now I am thrilled at how much enjoyment I am getting out of manual focus using the focus peaking & magnification capability of the X-E2. Not nearly as difficult as I had imagined it might be, as manual focus on the Fuji lenses is quite different due to their fly by wire connection. But more than that, the sharpness, the almost 3D like colors & the very pleasing to my eye bokeh when somewhat or completely wide open on the 90mm Tele is just amazing.

So I am pleased to having become at least a partial Leica owner & hope to become more so as time goes on. Let me know if anyone is interested in seeing any photos of this Fuji/Leica combo. And look forward to spending time on this most interest site. Cheers,

Jed