Favorite Bags?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Bags?
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What are some of your favorite bags and why?

I love the Think Tank Photo "Urban Disguise 20" bag. It's small and light yet holds a good amount of gear. The materials and workmanship are top-notch. Unfortunately it seems, when TTP revved their "Urban Disguise" line to v2, they dropped the 20. Very sad indeed - I should've bought two! ;)

When really packed up it holds a body w/lens, up to five additional lenses or film, batteries, SD cards, lens cleaning supplies, a couple of filters, a tabletop tripod and cable release... Even fully packed, it's still comfortable to carry around all day - unlike my backpack of DSLR gear that rang in at 25lbs. (which I had to carry it for ten hours once).

The inside is highly configurable as it comes with a bunch of Velcro-tabbed dividers and even extra padding panels. It might take a bit of fussing to get it how you like initially (like any new camera bag) but everything stays put very well. Some prefer messenger style bags - if you do, check out the new "Retrospective" line, which is basically an "Urban Disguise" with a flap instead of unzipping across the top.

I've had it for a few years now and dragged it around the streets of Europe, the jungles of Belize, castles in Puerto Rico and beaches on the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea - still looks and works like new, though perhaps slightly faded. But nothing's fallen off, broken or failed on me - not one stitch!

• LitPixel

Post subject: Re: Favorite Bags?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm 

I just received a new Billingham Leica Combo bag in Khaki.

Beautiful small bag keeps the M8.2 and a few lenses nice and snug.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 pm 

I am seriously considering the Domke F 803 with tripple insert, for Leica M9 extra lens and Ipad looks like the perfect size and I know they are rugged since I still use my original Domke bag bought back in 1985

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:54 am 

My favorite bag is a older Leica leather shoulder bag in a grey supple leather that holds a small kit perfectly. It's a tad skuffed from normal ware and being stuffed in
a carryon during most travels (new airline rules for one bag suck!). I am however
considering a new Thing Tank Retrospective 5. Nice size, finely finished, not too expensive and seems durable. Anyone have experience with this?

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:39 am 

The Billingham Combination bag for Leica
*Waterproof
*Perfect size

The Think Tank Retro 5
*Perfect size for body and a few lenses
*Nice compartments

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
Master in Training
Master in Training

I use the Domke F-8 for a Leica M, 3 or 4 lenses, and a few rolls of film. I was considering a Billingham Hadley Small as a replacement, but realized the price difference might not be worth it for how little I use the bag. What I really use is a padded North Face backpack with lenses wrapped in the Domke Wraps, it fits a lot of film and other accessories, and carrying it all day is a lot easier on my back and shoulder than an over the shoulder bag. Ultimately I just carry a camera with a lens attached and a few rolls of film 80% of the time

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While I still love my Urban Disguise 20, my recently acquired Retrospective 5 is really growing on me fast. Essentially the same on the inside, the latter - being a messenger style bag, is really nice to "work out of" on the move. It's also rather discreet.

A lot of people seem to like the Bare Bones Bag as well (the latest being the BBB-e). Similar, but less padding and less "stuff" (e.g. pockets, organizer, loops and such). Very svelte, very lightweight.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 am 

When I got a new bag a few months back I actually decided not to get a "camera bag" but a simple Crumpler...

My reasoning was (and still is) that the camera doesn't take pictures in a bag, so I usually carry it around my neck or over my shoulder. I use a Nokton Classic 35/1.4 probably 95% of the time, but carry a Color Skopar 21/4 with viewfinder in a lens case (which I can use for the Nokton as well). Light meter in a pocket or in the bag with a few rolls of film and I'm good to go...

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:33 pm 

Double Negative wrote:
While I still love my Urban Disguise 20, my recently acquired Retrospective 5 is really growing on me fast. Essentially the same on the inside, the latter - being a messenger style bag, is really nice to "work out of" on the move. It's also rather discreet.

A lot of people seem to like the Bare Bones Bag as well (the latest being the BBB-e). Similar, but less padding and less "stuff" (e.g. pockets, organizer, loops and such). Very svelte, very lightweight.

Yeah, I am liking that Retrospective 5 bag a lot. Also, have a hankering to try out the Domke 5xa rugged wear bag as my leica kit is full but don't feel like carrying all the gear at one time.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's a lot to be said for multiple bags... A small one for a body and only a few lenses to a larger one that holds most everything. I just posted a picture of the R5 in the 50 Lux thread actually:

• LitPixel