Harry Benz B-Strap

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Harry Benz B-Strap
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:06 pm 

Thanks James, I think the boa constrictor analogy is a particularly apt one for the stock nylon strap. However, even after a large governmental grant to the scientists at Stanford (tho I would prefer to use Cal Berkeley), I suspect it's workings will remain one of life's unsolved mysteries.

But after placing my order, I was a bit unhappy to find that the minimum time for Harry Benz to create a new would be 8 weeks. Oh well, I guess he really is a craftsman, & artistry doesn't happen overnight. It will give me more time to try to solve some of the other vexing things presented by my still new-to-me M camera.

Thanks kindly also for the offer of a coffee in the LA area, & I would be glad to do the same if your travels bring you to the desert. Now is a very good time to be here also; not so much so mid-summer. Cheers.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:57 am 

Many would agree with you about Palm Springs in the summer; not me, however. My dad and mom loved to drive to Palm Springs for weekend getaways, and I enjoyed the off-season quiet and dry, dry heat. I would go for long walks through town with my dad's Leica IIIf and collapsible 50mm. Once I shot almost a whole roll of Kodachrome (dad's favorite film) to see if I could capture the mirage of wavy air rising over the blazing hot street surface. I had a real hard time explaining that to dad when the slides came back! :?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:09 pm 

Off season in the Palm Springs environs, I think, is one of the best times to be living here. I think your dad & mom were absolutely right. We do, probably, just the opposite of what you experienced with them; that is, we occasionally escape the searing desert heat - usually mid August- & then return to enjoy the beauty & quiet of this oasis that is now our home. And we just drove over to Riverside to see & photograph the Mission Inn's holiday decorations. Also stopped in to see what was being displayed at the UCR Photography Museum nearby, where I picked up a marvelous book entitled "Leica & Hasselblad", with its history of both cameras & excellent photos both of them & iconic images taken by them.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:57 am 

Coincidentally, my dad and mom got married at the Mission Inn in Riverside.

I've never been to the UCR/California Museum of Photography. Their website is undergoing renovation, so I couldn't get a lot of information, although it looks like they have an exhibit of Aaron Siskind's photographs going through January 30, 2016. I'd like to check it out, if I can ever get out that way.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:05 pm 

The Siskind exhibit was interesting but most of his work was very abstract & not really my cup of tea. But the first photo is a B&W image taken in 1940 of a couple dancing, maybe in Harlem. It was stunning - very evocative & expressive, but totally candid as well. Worth the time if you can get there.

Post subject: Harry Benz B-Strap Shipped!!!
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:27 pm 

Huzzah - I just got word that the Harry Benz B strap that I ordered on Dec 24th has been shipped to my CA desert address. Hopefully in less than another week, I may have it in my hot little hands & attached to my M-240 almost immediately thereafter. Harry told me there would be a delay beyond the usual 8 week waiting time due to a backlog of work & other complications. I, of course, feared the worst & expected I would not see it until about late summer. And I will plan on sharing images as well as my opinion as soon as I am able to do so.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:34 pm 

Excellent! :D I'll be interested to read your opinion of it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:41 pm 

The lack of any posting from me about the Harry Benz B strap has nothing to do with my opinion of it, & much more to do with the fact that the post office returned the one he sent to me because I gave Harry my correct street address with my old zip code. Harry sent me an email last night advising me of this fact & that he has once again sent it on its merry way to my now corrected address.

Incidentally, I should add that when it didn't arrive after the expected postal interval, I contacted Harry; he was most accommodating & concerned about it, even offering to start making another one to replace it if lost in the mails. He is really a prince of a fellow, even though that role may already be filled. So I'm back doing my postal countdown, but hopefully with more tangible results this time. More to follow.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great news! Yes, Harry is great to deal with. So glad everything's straightened out.

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:46 am 

Darn those pesky ZIP codes! :(