Alex Webb: La Calle - Photographs from Mexico

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alex Webb: La Calle - Photographs from Mexico
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:25 pm 

La Calle - Photographs from Mexico, Aperture/Fundacion Televisa (1916), is the latest monograph from Magnum photographer Alex Webb. This medium-format book of 154 pages is bound in board covers with a cloth spine. The book as a whole is an exercise in design: from the cover to the selection of beautifully printed color and black and white images from thirty years of street photography, and with short texts from noted Mexican writers expanding on the book's theme: the cultural influence of the street in Mexican life. The book is also a catalogue of an exhibition which began at Aperture Gallery in New York and is continuing to Tucson and Youngstown.
Webb's photographic vision is multi-layered, with exceptionally sensitive response to color and - in monochrome - to value. His images lend themselves to interpretation, to story, as individual photographs as well as edited sequences. To say they richly reward the interested viewer is understatement.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Alex Webb: La Calle - Photographs from Mexico
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:49 pm 

Jim, I am going to look for this book & appreciate this heads up about it. It really looks quite fascinating. Do you have any idea of the timeframe when the exhibition will be leaving the Aperture Gallery in NY & being shown in Tuscon? We are thinking of a trip there some time next year & it would be great to be able to see this exhibit. Even though I am not much of a Fotografo Callejero, I enjoy looking at some of the very inventive work that they create. So I will also try to find more of what Alex Webb has done. Thanks again for pointing this out.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:56 pm 

Jed, according to the back matter in the book, the exhibit will be at the Etherton Gallery in Tuscon until January 8, 2017 (it started there November 8), then moves to the McDonough Gallery of Art, Youngstown State University, Ohio, from January 20 through March 3, 2017.
If you are interested in purchasing the book, it is available on Amazon. If you would like a copy autographed by Alex Webb, you may still be able to purchase a copy from the store at Magnum Photo:

https://shop.magnumphotos.com

Their website says its still in stock, autographed. Their price is $75 (as compared to $60 retail, unsigned, or $55.27 at Amazon).
An alternative Alex Webb title is The Suffering of Light, which currently is only $45.09 at Amazon (compared to $65.00 retail, unsigned). Both titles are great books, but The Suffering of Light not only covers Webb's work over a period of years, it covers a broader geographic range as well. It is a larger book, and contains some of Webb's most iconic work.
Finally, if you have not done so already, I urge you to check out the work of fellow LVL member Allen Bourgeois. His work is terrific, and he is an admirer of Webb's work. You can see Allen's work on this website, listed under airfrogusmc.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:08 pm 

Jim, this is quite a bit of very helpful info about Webb & his work. The Suffering of Light book sounds like it might even be a better choice for someone unfamiliar with it though, so I will also check that out. Ditto the work of Allen Bourgeois & appreciate these further tips. I think I just saw another reference to some of Allen's recent photography in the Leica Rumors postings & viewed some of that online as well. Don't know how you find the time to keep on top of all of this & still get all of your Christmas shopping done before it's too late! Cheers.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:58 pm 

You're correct: some of Allen's monochrome work was featured in the Leica Camera Blog for 12/15/2016.