Parr and Badger, The Photobook: A History, Volume II

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parr and Badger, The Photobook: A History, Volume II
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:27 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0860.jpg
I had so much fun reading Volume I of this series (see my earlier review), I could hardly wait to get Volume II. The fresh outlook taken by Misters Parr and Badger, and the exposure to such a wide range of largely unfamiliar photographic territory continued full force in this 335-page follow-up. The approach taken throughout this series is succinctly stated in Volume II, Introduction:
Quote:
In Volume I, we stressed the entirely subjective nature of the history of photography, and the way in which that history has tended to be determined by the influence of museum curators and historians. Both volumes of The Photobook: A Historychallenge the accepted canon by offering a voice from the ground, a new perspective from the viewpoint of the photographer. One of the most important points to emphasize in relation to this is that photographers learn more about their medium from other photographers' books than from any other source. These two volumes track the interconnections and influences circulating between photographers, the subtle ways in which they feed into each other's work, creating a global network of ideas that take on a different complexion from culture to culture.

Volume II is organized along the same lines as Volume I: introduction, nine chapters, epilogue, notes, bibliography and index. The Chapters are arranged in a combination of chronological, geographical and thematic order, thus:
(1) Mirrors and Windows - The American Photobook since the 1970s;
(2) Common Market - The European Photobook since the 1980s;
(3) Other Territories - The Worldwide Photobook;
(4) Appropriating Photography - The Artist's Photobook;
(5) Point of Sale - The Company Photobook;
(6) Looking at Photographs - The Picture Editor as Author;
(7) The Camera as Witness - The 'Concerned' Photobook since World War II;
(8) The Dusseldorf Tendency - The New Objective Photobook; and
(9) Home and Away - Modern Life and the Photobook.

Martin Parr is a member of Magnum Photos. Gerry Badger is a photography critic and curator. The quality of layout, reproduction, and writing is superb. Although sequels often disappoint, Volume II more than meets the high standard set by Volume I. Published by Phaidon (2006, reprinted 2011) and available through Amazon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.