Lynsey Addario, It's What I Do

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lynsey Addario, It's What I Do
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:54 pm 

If you have an interest in photojournalism in general, or war photography in particular, I strongly recommend It's What I Do - A Photographer's Life of Love and War by Lynsey Addario (2015), Penguin Press. My first experience with this genre was reading Don McCullin's Unreasonable Behavior. If you are familiar with McCullin's autobiography, you probably consider it a tough act to follow: a vivid, brutally candid description of life and work under extraordinarily harsh, dangerous conditions by a great master of his craft. Ms. Addario's book is every bit the equal of McCullin's, and then some.

Like McCullin, Ms. Addario is a very smart, observant and sensitive person in addition to being a great photographer. Ms. Addario brings more nuanced descriptive qualities to her writing, and gives the reader a more penetrating exploration of the decisions to become, and to remain, a war photojournalist. Woven into this central part of her story are her romantic (more or less) relationships, which reinforced the challenges she faced and made more poignant her descriptions of the isolation and sadness which seemed to pervade her travels and her work.

Ms. Addario's description of her kidnapping with several press colleagues in Libya is hair-raising. So, too, are her descriptions of being in the midst of combat and of the heart-rending cruelties borne by countless refugees, especially children. On those subjects she, like McCullin, does not shield the reader from horror. The experience (as it was when I read McCullin's book) was deeply troubling, deeply moving.

It's What I Do is fascinating, humanistic writing by one of today's great photojournalists. Ms. Addario is a recipient of a MacArthur Genius Grant and was part of a Pulitzer Prize-winning team. The 357-page hardcover book is generously illustrated with striking color photographs, and is indexed. It is available from Amazon in print and Kindle editions.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.