Purosol...Great

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Purosol...Great
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:11 am 
Master in Training
Master in Training

I've been using Purosol Lens Cleaner for a couple years now (still have the same 4 oz bottle) on lens elements and filter. Simply put it is fantastic, and I've yet to find anything comparable--at any price. The Zeiss lens cleaner, leaves streaky residue on every type of surface as does 99.98% alcohol (used for cleaning electronics). I won't mention some of the cheap alternatives I've tried, because they all sucked too. Purosol leaves no streaks, though you will see negative reviews from glasses wearers saying it does (mainly because they aren't patient and deliberate enough in their cleaning process). For glass with dust, you're better off with a rocket blower (as the particles can scratch glass surfaces if rubbed with a cloth)...but for oil, water spots, etc this stuff is great.

With oil (like the kind that comes from skin) it may take two separate attempts. First use a blower to remove any large and loose dust, then spray a clean cloth a few times and clean the glass surface (essentially this step only loosens the oil up), then a couple more sprays on the other side of the cloth to remove the remaining residue. A couple blows of air to remove the fibers and your lens or filter with be cleaner than the day you got it.

http://www.amazon.com/Purosol-Natural-Lens-Cleaner-4oz/dp/B000W8OZE2

Post subject: Re: Purosol...Great
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:00 pm 

I agree: Purosol is the best optical element cleaning liquid I have found thus far. Given the delicate coatings on some lenses, I am very cautious about any product I use to clean them, and let's just say I have the least anxiety with Purosol. I use it to clean my eyeglasses, too.
In the unlikely event you can't find it on Amazon, Purosol is also sold online or in the store by Filmtools in Burbank, California. They also sell Kimwipes, which are very popular with motion picture camera operators because they are clean, abrasive-free, and conveniently packaged.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:33 pm 

This is good info, I recently tried clean my Summicron 35mm's rear surface, tried several times could not get rid of the oil on the surface, with Zeiss cleaner. I will get and try Purosol now.
Thanks for the info.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:42 am 

Thanks I'd never heard of it. That's good to know.