What computer system do YOU use?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What computer system do YOU use?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:21 am 

Not sure if this is posted in the proper thread or not.

But, it may be confusion and shock that causes me to be stunned at the cost of a new computer setup just to do photography these days. My old trusty Dell will need to be replaced at age 15 which is only a couple of years away.

Hardware (probably Mac ProBook or similar), new software, storage, etc., etc., etc. :shock:

I will sell all that I own to buy one and then have a computer for...what? Hard times hard choices. But I know that is going to be a hard nut to crack so I am doing my research and soliciting responses as to what system and such that YOU use for the huge photo files and software that we now need just to do "photography". Yikes!!! :cry:

Part of my thinking will include, of course, just what am I doing in the first place? Why am I even doing photography? Where am I going with this and then, what do I really need, if anything? Soul-searching is hard sometimes. :p

Post subject: Re: What computer system do YOU use?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I run an Apple household. Macs, Macbooks, iPhones and iPad. As an ecosystem (or walled garden, depending on how you look at it) it all just... Works.

Is there a "price premium" on Apple? Perhaps. Not nearly as much as there used to be. IMO you're getting a "bit extra" for that premium. The designs are gorgeous, the materials equally so. They're quality products. And they last longer than the average PC (in part due to Mac OS X). My Mac Pro is from 2006, the Macbook Pro from 2008. Still working like a charm.

I could never use a PC again. I left the PC world something like 20 years ago... Mostly because of Windows. Sorry, PC fans - Windows is shit. Though I did just finish building a nice, shiny new PC - to run Linux on - at the beginning of the year. Not as a daily driver, but as a server. It does work as a nice desktop as well, but nothing beats a nice Mac.

My next computer? Yeah... It'll be a Mac too. ;)

P.S. Moved thread to "Hardware and Software."

• LitPixel

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:56 pm 

MacBook Pro., Desktop Mac., iPhones, iPads.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:14 pm 

Thanks, guys...will definitely add a Macbook Pro to the iphone/ipad around here. Just when I do not know.

Maybe after I spring for an MM? :0

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:14 pm 

Maybe after I win the lottery?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:32 pm 

Normally, while still working, I ate up a plastic Windows machine every year. One thing or another would fail an an inoportune time.

Since moving to Mac I only bought a new one when I wanted a newer feature, drive, processor, screen.

3 laptops in seven years instead of 10 laptops in 10 years.

Moral of this story: They ain't that expensive.

PS: My first laptop was an Osborne.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:50 pm 

All Apple here as well. Wife is using my old aluminium Macbook, I got 13" MB Pro retina from work and I've got a 27" iMac for messing about with photos..

Naturally we also got all the toys & gizmos.. 2 iPhones, iPad retina and Apple tv.

No going back to windows or linux for me. Been using macs ever since they swapped to intel based cpu's.

Tried a Lumia phone though.. was nice, but in the end didn't cut the mustard.

//Juha

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:19 pm 

Coming to this thread rather late.

MacBook Pro 15-inch Retina 2.3 GHz, purchased mid-2012; Canon PIXMA 9000 Mk II printer, Cal-Digit 2 terabyte external memory, Lightroom 5 software.

I agree wholeheartedly with the prior comments that Mac systems are more reliable, less subject to viruses, and cheaper in the long-run than PC systems. I say this even though I've had a few issues with Macs. An earlier MacBook I had came with one of the Sony batteries that became subject to recall due to the potential for causing a fire. My current laptop suffered the "grey screen of death" a year ago, necessitating replacement of one of the boards and the hard drive. Fortunately I had purchased extended service with the laptop, and the repairs were covered. A couple of weeks ago the operating system was corrupted, and had to be reloaded. That's it for the 4 Mac laptops I've owned over the past 12 years or so. I should add that one of those laptops was purchased in order to obtain faster speed and a bigger screen, and my current laptop replaced my prior MacBook Pro which was knocked off a table onto a hard floor, deeply denting a corner and cracking the screen.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:42 am 

Linux Ubuntu for me. My laptop is about 10 yrs old and held together with 'Duct tape'. (I left Windows with Vista.)

All of the software is totally free, as are updates.

There are practically no viruses written to bother me and anti virus is also free.

Windows programmes can be run through 'Wine' software but I've never had cause to use it.

There are a few issues with hardware compatibility, but these are usually easily sorted after a visit to a forum.

Oh and most importantly, a minimal amount of those infuriating little reminders constantly popping up to ask me if I'd like to clear unused desktop items / anti virus out of date etc etc etc etc.... ARGHH!!! (Maybe that doesn't happen anymore?)

I'm not saying that Windows is bad by the way. It's just that it doesn't work for me.

I haven't tried Mac but have heard very good reports.

BTW. I've just bought a digital SLR so I may have to upgrade my system soon as its 24 megapixel. I now need to find out what the hell a RAW file is!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lots of Mac love - good to see!

As an update, I finally upgraded my aging 2006 Mac Pro... To an iMac with Retina 5K display! Yes, the screen is everything you've read about (and more). I maxed out the CPU, GPU and memory (afterwards). Added a G|RAID Studio for 4TB of storage. Stupid fast.

Nice to see some Linux (especially Ubuntu) love also. I'm a big fan, myself... My other box is running Ubuntu. I built the hardware myself, using a BitFenix Prodigy case - which is based around a Haswell CPU (overclocked to 4.6GHz). 16GB RAM, 2x Samsung 840 SSDs (RAID 1) and 2x 4TB HDDs (also RAID 1). Silly fast as well; though it's more of a server than a desktop - and why I use the (built in) Intel graphics.

• LitPixel