Submitted by Double Negative on September 11, 2012 - 2:15pm
From the what-the-hell-is-going-on-this-week department comes the latest bad news for film. Seems Fujifilm might stop manufacturing movie film. Now granted, Fuji film is used for about 20% of studio business with Kodak the other 80% - it's still another shocking round of bad news in recent weeks. Read more below for the details.
Submitted by Double Negative on September 10, 2012 - 4:13pm
China Lucky Film Corp said on Tuesday that it will stop production of color film products due to a sharp decrease in demand in recent years. The company said it will authorize its general manager to clear assets related with color film products. The Baoding-based company, a fully owned subsidiary of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp, had revenues of 827 million yuan ($130 million) in 2011, up 13 percent year on year. The company's net loss was 55.9 million yuan. The annual report showed that the profit rate for color film products was only 6.66 percent.
Submitted by Double Negative on August 28, 2012 - 11:41am
Fotokemika in Croatia has effectively ceased production of films and papers, affecting Efke and ADOX products. Efke films and papers are completely shut down, but there's some hope for ADOX films. Read more below for further information:
Submitted by Double Negative on August 24, 2012 - 12:03pm
You knew it was coming - but now it's happening. Kodak is selling their film business which includes its "traditional photographic paper and still camera film products." The unit also includes its retail division, which encompasses tens of thousands of photo-printing labs and kiosks, as well as its "event imaging" division, which provides souvenir photos at theme parks and other venues. In addition, the company is selling its document scanning business.
Submitted by Double Negative on August 19, 2012 - 9:57am
Submitted by Double Negative on August 16, 2012 - 1:07pm
The iPhone app ViewFinder Classic (available on iTunes for $0.99) recreates the experience of a Leica rangefinder camera on the iPhone. The application features a full-screen viewfinder with a set of frame lines for the classic 35mm and 50mm focal lengths. It offers a minimalist interface, with a shutter and an exposure setting button. Read more below for the main features...
Submitted by Double Negative on August 3, 2012 - 12:13pm
We've all left our lens caps on before though we usually figure it out quickly enough. This Olympic photographer took a little bit longer... And each of those embarrassing 12 seconds were broadcast to the world. Oops. We've included a still photo here, as the IOC is hunting down any "illegal" videos... Update: found one!
Submitted by Double Negative on July 19, 2012 - 12:08pm
More bad news for E-6 shooters - Fujifilm discontinues two professional films - namely Velvia 100F and 50. This comes on the heels of a price increase in April of this year. Read more below for the full details.
Submitted by Double Negative on July 11, 2012 - 10:45am
Jonas Normann of Sidewalktalk in Denmark shares this lovely video with us, about street shooting in Vejle with his Leica M9:
Submitted by Double Negative on July 5, 2012 - 9:09am